Before leaving home: entry visa and health insurance

To enter Italy, non-EU students wishing to enrol in degree programmes or single course units must first apply for an entry visa for study purposes.

The entry visa for study purposes is usually issued after the pre-enrolment procedures at the Italian Embassy have been completed.

Where necessary, some embassies issue a short-term visa in order to allow students to take part in admission tests held in Italy. Subsequently, and only after verifying the successful outcome of the admission tests, they issue a visa for study purposes, called “studio – immatricolazione università” in Italian.

Read the information about the visa for Italy, selecting “study – university enrolment” (if you wish to enrol in a degree programme), “study – university single course” (if you wish to enrol in single course units), as the reason for your stay. Contact the relevant Italian Embassy well in advance and find out what the documents required are. Make an appointment if necessary.

Important: an entry visa for tourism cannot be used to enrol at the university or to obtain a residence permit for study purposes.

If before leaving, you will need to purchase health insurance in your own country (which must be valid in Italy and cover illnesses, accidents and maternity). Take the policy documentation with you to the embassy together with the other documents required for obtaining a visa and make sure that the embassy stamps the insurance policy to certify its validity. Without the embassy’s stamp, once you arrive in Italy you may be obliged to purchase another policy, as foreign insurance not validated by the Embassy is not acceptable for obtaining a residence permit.

For more information about pre-enrolment procedures, please consult the sections concerning degree programme enrolment for non-EU students and registration to single course units, and contact your nearest Italian Embassy (or Consulate).