Extension of the study period: part-time student status

If you are regularly enrolled (“in corso”), you may choose to carry out your university career over a longer period of time than normal, without being “fuori corso”.

Benefits of the part-time status

When you extend your period of study, the University Educational Credits (CFU) of each academic year will be spread over two years, as explained below:

  • for first-cycle degree programmes, the 180 CFU are spread over 6 years instead of 3;
  • for second-cycle degree programmes/two-year masters, the 120 CFU are spread over 4 years instead of 2;
  • for the single-cycle degree programmes in Law or Primary Teacher Education, the 300 CFU are spread over 10 years instead of 5.

In any case, you will have 60 CFU for every two years in your study plan.

Who can apply

You can apply if you are enrolled “in corso” in:

  • a first-cycle degree programme
  • a second-cycle degree programme
  • a single-cycle degree programme in Law or Primary Teacher Education. The following degree programmes are excluded:
    • Medicine and Surgery
    • Dentistry
    • Building Engineering/ Architecture
    • Architecture
    • Veterinary Medicine
    • Pharmaceutical Chemistry and Technology
    • Pharmacy

International courses based on specific agreements with foreign partners are also excluded.


The following conditions apply:

  • once you have opted for the part-time student status, you must follow the plan for at least two years. After two years, you can give up the status by submitting the form to withdraw from the part-time plan [.pdf 159 KB];
  • if you are a part-time student in the last year of your degree programme (third year for first-cycle degree programmes, second year for second-cycle degree programmes, fifth year for single-cycle degree programmes), you may obtain your degree before the end of the period agreed, but you must have paid for the entire part-time scheduled period;
  • If you wish to transfer to another Degree Programme, you may apply according to the established procedures and deadlines, even if you have not completed two years as a part-time student. However, you must have paid the fees as a full-time student for the entire academic year in which you are enrolled. If you are still interested in the part-time student status, you must apply again for your new Degree Programme;
  • if you have already chosen the part-time student option, your period of study will go back to the normal duration from the first “fuori corso” year.

How and when to apply

To apply for the 2024/25 academic year, you must have paid the matriculation or enrolment fee.
You may apply from 25 July to 28 November 2024. To apply, log into Studenti Online, go to the part-time plan section, fill in the form and pay the €16 stamp duty.
If you switch to another degree programme of the University of Bologna, you must submit the application again.

Tuition Fees

In the part-time plan:

  • if you submit an ISEE, you must pay the amount calculated based on your ISEE score and merit requirements (up to 50% of the full tuition fee for your specific degree programme). Merit requirements are reduced by 50% compared to those for full-time students and are assessed based on the previous academic year;
  • if you do not submit an ISEE, you must pay 50% of the full amount for your specific degree programme.

In any case, on the tuition fee page you will find all information on how to calculate and pay tuition fees.

Students with non-European Union citizenship residing abroad (non-EU students)

If interested in the part-time option, students who are non-European Union citizens (non-EU students) residing abroad or who have a residence permit issued for study purposes, must contact the International Desk for information on how to renew their residence permit.



Student Administration Offices

Contact the student administration department for all administrative procedures.