Information on entry visa and residence permit for international PhD candidates

Information for international PhD applicants and PhD candidates

Enrolment in PhD programmes is possible after participation in a call for applications published annually and after passing the admission tests.

For international PhD programmes (e.g. CSF, China Scholarship Council, etc.), consult the relevant call for applications.

European Union citizens

If you are a national of a European Union country, your ID must be valid for the entire period of stay in Italy and you must have adequate healthcare coverage valid for Italy (your European Health Insurance Card - EHIC, TEAM in Italy and/or private insurance).

Non-European Union citizens

If you are a national of a country not belonging to the European Union and you do not live in Italy, you must apply for an entry visa at the Italian Embassy or Consulate and, upon your arrival in Italy, you must apply for a residence permit.

The visa must be for research if you receive a research fellowship (e.g.: MSCA).

The visa must be for study in most of the other cases.

If you have any questions about your PhD position, please contact the .

If you are a non-EU citizen holding a residence permit issued by a European Union country (Schengen Area), contact the International Desk.

Entry into italy to sit admission tests

If you are a non-EU citizen with residency outside Italy who has registered and applied for admission to a PhD programme, check if you need an entry visa for Italy to sit the exams that require your physical presence.

If you need to apply for a visa you can contact the PhD Unit. You will be issued a declaration of admission to the admission tests, indicating the dates and the obligation to be physically present to sit the admission tests. You can use this declaration to apply for an entry visa at the relevant Italian embassy or consulate.

Entry into Italy following enrollment in the PhD programme

If you are the winner of the competition and have already registered (including the payment of the fees foreseen by the call for applications), you must apply for an entry visa for Italy.

Visa for research

If you need to apply for a research visa, contact the International Desk well in advance. They will provide you with information and support for your request.

Read the information for visiting researchers at the University of Bologna.

Visa for study

If you need to apply for a study visa, please:

  • enrol in the PhD programme, according to the rules published in the call for applications;
  • read the information about visa for Italy, selecting “STUDY - POSTGRADUATE” as the “Reason for your stay”;
  • pre-enrol online via the Universitaly portal. In the application, you must indicate the University of Bologna and choose the PhD programme you are enrolled in. You will also need to specify the Embassy / Consulate where you will apply for an entry visa for Italy. The PhD Unit will verify your pre-enrolment application, validate it and attach a certificate of enrolment in the PhD programme and of the assignment of the PhD scholarship, if you are beneficiary; your pre-enrolment application will be then forwarded to the Embassy / Consulate you have specified. If you need a certificate of enrolment and assignment of the scholarship, you can download it from or request it via email from the PhD Unit;
  • contact the Embassy / Consulate well in advance to find out the requirements for obtaining an entry visa and make an appointment if necessary.

Usually you have to submit:

  • the summary of your pre-enrolment application validated by the University of Bologna, that you can download from;
  • proof of the availability of accommodation in Italy: hotel reservation, declaration of hospitality;
  • proof that you have sufficient means of subsistence for your stay in Italy. If you are the recipient of a scholarship from the University of Bologna for enrolment in the PhD programme, you can submit the relevant certification;
  • health insurance for medical treatment and hospital treatment, if you are not entitled to health care in Italy by virtue of agreements or conventions in force with your country.


When you arrive in Italy, please, get in contact with the PhD Unit in order to know the next steps in your enrollment procedure. 

In particular, you will have to:

  • (for PhD candidates who’s been awarded a Master’s degree at a non-Italian University) show your original Master’s degree diploma or certificate, transcript of records and – if requested - the “Dichiarazione di valore in loco” or other comparability certificate;
  • (for PhD candidates who need to apply for a residence permit) pick up your original enrolment certificate.

If you’ve been awarded a PhD position covered by a scholarship, in order to have your scholarship payment correctly authorized, please, send to the the following documents, as soon as possible after your arrival in Italy:

  • your Italian tax code, issued by the Revenue Agency (Agenzia delle Entrate);
  • copy of your residence permit or residence permit application’s receipt.

Remember to insert on your Studenti Online personal page your bank account code. The bank account (Italian or non-Italian) shall be in the name or joint name of the scholarship recipient.

Please, get in contact with the  well in advance, to know the deadlines for the submission of the abovementioned documents. In this way you’ll be able to receive your scholarship’s payment from the first month.

Residency permit

Remember that within eight days of entering Italy you must apply for a residence permit.

Important! During the coronavirus emergency period remember that upon entering Italy you must comply with the mandatory fiduciary isolation, where applicable, before going to offices and submitting the application for a residence permit.

The scanned copy of the receipt of your residence permit application must be sent immediately to the  from your University of Bologna email address (

You must send the receipt in order to receive the payment for your scholarship or research fellowship.

Once you have collected the residence permit, you must send a copy to the .

If the copy of the residence permit is not provided within 180 days from the start date of the programme, your career will be blocked.

“Researcher” residence permit

To request a “researcher” (ricercatore) residence permit, immediately contact the International Desk, which will provide you with information and support for your request.

“Student” residence permit

If you need support for a “student” (studente) residence permit application, contact the International Desk immediately and follow the instructions: On arrival in Italy: residence permit (permesso di soggiorno) for phd candidates

Campus services

If you are studying in a Campus other than Bologna, please contact the campus services:

the International Desk on Ravenna Campus;

the International Desk on Rimini Campus;

the International Relations Office on Cesena Campus;

the International Relations Office on Forlì Campus.