Documentation regarding the economic situation of international students

Information on the verification of income and assets of international students enrolling for A.Y. 2019/20.

All students must access the Online Services section of the ER-GO website and complete the section on "Personal and economic data". In the section on economic data, students must input the income and assets, translated to euro, of all members of their home family group by 30 October 2019 at 6 pm (or by 15 November 2019 at 6 pm, with a late penalty of 100.00 euro).

Following online confirmation of the section on economic data, students must submit the original, legalised documentation confirming their economic condition and assets without fail by 20 November 2019 at the latest, by sending a registered letter (with proof of delivery) to ER.GO at Via Schiavonia 3 40121 Bologna.

International students whose family resides and receives income and/or owns assets in Italy must request the ISEE calculation.

Students who are citizens of the European Union (EU students)

International students coming from a European Union country are treated the same as Italian citizens as regards rules on administrative simplification, and may therefore self-certify their income and assets by declaring the following information in their application:

  • total income received abroad in 2018 that is valued based on permanent parities and expressed in euros
  • assets held abroad as at the end of 2018: immoveable property includes buildings only, based on the conventional value of € 500.00 per square metre; moveable assets are valued based on permanent parities and expressed in euros

All students must submit, by 20 November of the year in question, their family status and documentation attesting to their self-certified economic situation and assets, translated into Italian and, where necessary, legalised or apostilled according to regulations in force for the year in question. If the date falls on a Saturday or public holiday, the deadline for submission is postponed to the next working day.

The funding application cannot be assessed until the student has submitted complete documentation. However, compliance with self-certified information will be verified after the funding decision is made. Funding may therefore be withdrawn if information regarding income/assets is later found to have been omitted.

Non-European Union students (non-EU students)

International students from countries outside the European Union must provide documentation relating to their economic situation and assets as issued by the authorities in the place where the income was produced and the assets possessed. The documentation must be translated into Italian and legalised by the Italian diplomatic authorities in the place of origin or, where this is required, apostilled according to applicable regulations.

In countries where it is particularly difficult to obtain certificates vetted by the local Italian embassy, the documents may be substituted by a certificate in Italian issued by the Embassy or Consulate of the home country in Italy, legalised by the local branch of the Home Office (Prefettura).

In all cases, the documentation must indicate:

  • The composition of the family nucleus.
  • The work activities of each member of the family nucleus in 2018, including any adult brothers and sisters. If any members do not work, the documentation must demonstrate their situation of non-employment or unemployment and the amount of any unemployment benefit or other benefits received.
  • The period of working activity of each member (indicating whether the period was more or less than six months during 2018).
  • The value of the income in 2018 of every member of the family, including any adult brothers and sisters and any other relatives aged 18 or over living with the student or, otherwise, the overall income value of the family nucleus.
  • An indication of the size of the home and other buildings owned in 2018, in square metres; if the home is not owned by the family, the student must attach a special declaration issued by the relevant authorities certifying that no member of the family nucleus owns any property.
  • The amount of any residual mortgage on the home and/or other property as at the end of 2018.
  • The value of the moveable assets owned by each member of the family nucleus as at the end of 2018.
  • Any documented invalidity or disability of the student.

Values must be in euros based on the average exchange rate for the year in question, determined in accordance with the law.

International students from non-EU countries classified as "very poor" according to Italian Ministerial Decree pursuant to Art. 13 of the Decree of the President of the Council of Ministers 9 April 2001 "Regulation on equal treatment regarding the right to higher education" must provide a certificate from the Italian diplomatic authority in their home country stating that the student does not belong to a family known to have high income or high social status.

International students from outside the European Union can, like Italian citizens, self-certify information such as statuses, personal qualities and facts certifiable or ascertainable by Italian public or private bodies.

Stateless students or political refugees

Stateless students or political refugees are likened to Italian citizens. For the purpose of assessing economic situation, they are exempted from the obligation to provide declarations from embassies or consulates, since only their incomes and assets in Italy are taken into consideration to evaluate their economic situation. Therefore, they may self-certify their economic situation according to the procedure for Italian students.

The status of stateless person or political refugee must be proven by the student through official documentation in their possession, which has been issued by the Civil Court in the case of stateless students, or the Commission specifically set up by the Minister of the Interior in the case of political refugees.

Students with dual citizenship

International students with dual citizenship must choose one of the two citizenships when submitting their application. If one of the two citizenships is Italian, the Italian citizenship takes priority.

As for calculating tuition fees, the citizenship choice only affects the possibility of temporarily self-certifying income produced abroad (until 20 November of the relevant year).