Extension of the study period – Part-time student

If you are aligned to the exam schedule you may extend your period of study and carry out your university career over a longer period of time than normal, while remaining aligned to the exam schedule.

If you extend your period of study, the CFU of each academic year will be awarded during two calendar years, as explained below:

  • for First Cycle Degree programmes, the 180 CFU are awarded over 6 years instead of 3 years. For every two years in the study plan, you will obtain 60 CFU;
  • for Second Cycle Degree programmes/Two Year Masters, the 120 CFU are awarded over 4 years instead of 2 years. For every two years in the study plan, you will obtain 60 CFU;
  • for Single cycle degree programmes in Law and Primary Education Sciences, the 300 CFU are distributed over 10 years instead of 5. For every two years in the study plan, you will obtain 60 CFU.

Please be reminded that:

  • once you have chosen to extend your period of study as part-time student you must follow the plan for at least two years. To give up the part-time period of study, after two years, it is necessary to make a formal request to the student administration office using the attached form.
  • if you are a part-time student during the last year of your degree programme, you may obtain your degree before the end of the period agreed, but to take the final exam sooner, you must have paid for the entire scheduled period.
  • you cannot choose the part-time student option if you are not aligned to the exam schedule. If you have already chosen the part-time student option during the ordinary duration of your studies, your period of study will go back to the normal duration from the first year you are not aligned to the exam schedule.

Who can apply

You may apply if you are enrolled in a First Cycle or Second Cycle Degree Programme (including single cycle degrees in Law and Primary Education Sciences), except for International degree programmes activated thanks to specific agreements with foreign partners:

  • Medicine and Surgery
  • Dentistry and Dental Prosthetics
  • Construction Engineering / Architecture
  • Architecture
  • Veterinary Medicine
  • Chemistry and Pharmaceutical Technologies
  • Pharmacy

Non-EU students, who reside abroad or hold a valid residence permit for study purposes, should contact the International desk for information on how to extend their residence permit to extend their study period.

Application procedure and deadline

To apply you must have paid the matriculation or enrolment fee and fill in the form [.pdf] (including stamp duty) and deliver it by mail (to the address of your Student Administration Office) or by hand (following the instructions available here) by 25 November 2021.

If you transfer to a different Degree Programme of the University of Bologna, you must submit the application again.

Tuition Fees

Please see the tuition fees page for full details on tuition calculations and payments.

If you submit an ISEE, you must pay the amount calculated based on your ISEE score and merit requirements (up to 50% of the full tuition fee for your specific degree programme). Merit requirements are reduced by 50% compared to those for full-time students and are assessed based on the previous academic year.

If you do not submit an ISEE, you must pay 50% of the full amount for your specific degree programme.