Accommodation and halls of residence in Bologna

Useful services, agreements and resources for finding accommodation in Bologna.

Bologna welcomes a large number of students and finding accommodation can be difficult, especially for periods of less than 12 months. Start looking for accommodation well in advance. It is advisable to book an accommodation before arriving in Bologna.

Er.Go housing service

For students enrolling in First cycle or Second cycle degree programmes

The Regional Authority for the Right to Higher Education (ER-GO) manages a number of university halls of residence available to students at a preferential rate.
Students who meet certain income and merit requirements may obtain accommodation at a preferential rate, if they submit an online application and are selected.
Read the call for applications on the ER.GO. website to find out the requirements and deadlines for submitting applications for accommodation.
The call is not available for exchange students.
Further information on the ER.GO. website

For exchange students and short stays

For short stays, ER.GO makes accommodation available via an online booking service with full rate offers for occasional and temporary stays.
Further information on the ER.GO. website
You can write to ER.GO via the Scrivici service.


Accommodation Showcase (Vetrina Alloggi)

Vetrina Alloggi is a virtual bulletin board where landlords can enter information on properties to be leased to university students.

SAIS (Student Accommodation and Information Service)

The SAIS supports international exchange students and enrolling students in finding accommodation in the university halls of residence, colleges, short-stay accommodation or in private rented property. This support also includes help with negotiating rental contracts.
It is also the responsibility of the SAIS to provide students from non-EU countries with certification regarding the availability of accommodation, which is necessary for issuing entry visas.
The SAIS service is free of charge.
Sign up to SAIS well in advance and search for accommodation before arriving in Bologna.
Further information on the SAIS website

Availability of accommodation for non-EU students

Students with non-EU citizenship must demonstrate that they have accommodation in Italy in order to apply for a residence permit.

Other resources for finding accommodation

To help you find accommodation in Bologna, below you will find some websites run by private landlords. The University of Bologna is not responsible for any activities carried out by them and for the contents published on the websites or services offered.


Rental registration desk – Rent from a private landlord

Students who rent accommodation from a private landlord can contact the help desk to receive information and register their rental contract. Having a proper rental contract is a way to safeguard your rights and it is also required to obtain your residence permit if you are a non-EU student.
Rental registration desk - Bologna

Before renting an accommodation from a private landlord, you can also consult:

Accommodation Showcase (Vetrina Alloggi) 
SAIS FAQs - the search for an accommodation, contracts


Financial contributions provided by the Municipality of Bologna for tourist accommodation facilities

The Municipality of Bologna has published a tender to assign financial contributions to tourist accommodation facilities in support of short term lets to low income university students residing outside Bologna, during the Covid-19 health emergency.
More information about financial contributions