Enrolling in a second cycle degree programme - foreign qualification

You can be admitted to a Second Cycle Degree Programme if you hold a suitable foreign university or post-secondary qualification which allows study continuation in the subsequent cycle at a university in one’s country of reference.

The suitability of the qualification for entry to Second Cycle Degree Programmes at the University of Bologna is checked by the competent Degree Programme Boards, which apply the same criteria (curricular requirements and assessment of personal competencies and skills) established for candidates holding Italian academic qualifications.


The foreign qualification must be legalised, translated and submitted with a declaration of value except for in cases of exemption or when you are eligible to submit alternate documents.

In order to obtain the required documents, contact the Italian Embassy in your country in advance and submit:

  • your original university or post-secondary qualification;
  • a certificate issued by the competent academic authority listing the exams you have passed;
  • (only if required for entry requirement verification for the degree programme you are interested in) the official syllabus of all learning activities completed to obtain the foreign academic qualification;
  • (only for students applying for a shortened programme) the documents required for the application for a shortened programme.

You must obtain the following documents from the Italian Embassy:

  • the legalization and translation of your university or post-secondary qualification, where applicable;
  • the declaration of value, where applicable;
  • the certificate issued by the competent academic authority listing the exams you have passed, legalized and translated where applicable; 
  • the official syllabus of all learning activities completed to obtain the foreign academic qualification, translated where applicable;
  • the documents required if you wish to apply for a shortened programme, where applicable.

Please remember that if you are a non-EU citizen residing abroad, you must also pre-enrol and apply for an entry visa for study purposes.

If you are interested in applying for Er.Go. financial aid (study grants, housing and tuition fee waivers) you must carefully read the calls for applications for the A.Y. 2020/21, published on the website www.er-go.it. If your family has income and assets outside Italy, study in depth the required documents, which must be translated and legalized.

Any questions?

You can contact the International Desk internationaldesk@unibo.it for any questions concerning the suitability of your qualifications.

How qualifications earned abroad are evaluated by Degree Programme Boards

For degrees earned in Italy, curricular requirements are often expressed with reference to degree classes and subject groups which have alphanumerical codes associated with the degrees and disciplines studied. For degrees earned abroad, the assessment of curricular requirements is based on an evaluation of the exams taken and course syllabi.

The assessment of personal competencies and skills is based on the specific procedures of each degree programme.

Important! The Degree Programme Board assesses only the substantial aspect of your degree(s) (learning outcomes and syllabus), based on the copies of the degrees and certificates provided and on the Diploma Supplement, if applicable. It does not carry out a formal verification of the degree.

A formal verification is carried out, however, by the Student Administration Office after online matriculation is completed and original documents are provided.

The verification includes degree title, type, duration and level, issuing institution, prior education, academic rights and actual completion and awarding of the qualification(s).

If, after the verification, you would like your degree to be examined more thoroughly, please contact the International Desk and request the re-evaluation of your degree explaining the reasons for your request: internationaldesk@unibo.it