Legalization and translation

Legalization of qualifications and other documents

Qualifications and certificates must be legalized in order to guarantee their authenticity, by the Italian Embassy. If the country where the qualification was obtained is party to the Hague Convention (1961), you must have the “Apostille” affixed to your documents by the competent authorities, in place of legalization.

Neitherlegalization nor the “Apostille” are required if your qualification was awarded by an institution in Belgium, Denmark, France, Ireland or Latvia (Brussels Convention 1987), Germany (Rome Convention 1969), Austria (Vienna Convention 1975).

Students with non-legalized International Baccalaureate (IB) Diplomas must give the University of Bologna permission to check their results on the International Baccalaureate Organization website.

Translation of qualifications and other documents

Your final secondary education qualification, your academic or post-secondary education qualification, any other certificates and syllabus must be submitted along with an official Italian translation.

Outside Italy the translation must be done according to the rules set by the Italian Ministero degli Affari Esteri e della Cooperazione Internazionale (MAECI).

Important: for enrolling at the University of Bologna, no translation is necessary for degrees, certificates and syllabus in English, French, German or Spanish.

If you are in Italy you can get your documents translated by official translators, other than the directly concerned people (traduzione giurata), at district court offices (Tribunali).