Visa and rules for residence in Italy

Information and methods governing entry and residence in Italy for students.

Before leaving home, all students must find out about the Italian laws governing residence in Italy.
Students who are citizens of a country of the European Union (EU), as well as citizens of Switzerland, Norway, Liechtenstein, Iceland, Andorra, the Principality of Monaco, Republic of San Marino and the Vatican City, can freely travel and stay in Italy for up to a maximum of three months.

Students with EU citizenship

  • Exchange students
    Exchange students (Erasmus+ or other programmes) who will be staying in Italy for more than 3 months, but in any case temporarily, can stay in Italy without any formalities; they only need to have an identity document valid for foreign travel.
  • Students enrolling in degree programmes or single learning activities
    Students enrolling in degree programmes who will be staying in Italy for more than 3 months on a non-temporary basis must register with the Registry office (Anagrafe) in the city they live and study in: Bologna, Cesena, Forlì, Rimini or Ravenna.

Students with non-EU citizenship