Entry and residence in Italy for teaching activity (visiting professors, visiting fellows and other lecturers coming from abroad)

Information on entry and residence in Italy of scholars or experts, of appropriate scientific qualification, coming from abroad, who have been appointed to run course units or manage language training, tutoring activities or seminars by the University offices on a contract basis.

The following procedures apply in all cases where the teaching activity is prevalent.

For support in the incoming procedures contact the International Desk diri.visiting@unibo.it if the destination is Bologna, otherwise contact the International Relations office on the relative campusCesena, Forlì, Ravenna, Rimini. The visa issue procedures take a long time and you should start the procedure well in advance (at least 3 months).

The activities described below, concerning the International Desk, are done on the campuses by the International Relations offices.

Before arriving in Italy

Visiting professors, visiting fellows and other lecturers from the European Union

You must:

  • check that the identity document is valid for the whole period of your stay in Italy;
  • have appropriate health care coverage valid also for Italy (TEAM card and/or private insurance).

Visiting professors, visiting fellows and other lecturers from outside the European Union

You must apply for a visa for freelance work purposes, usually by submitting:

  • visa application form [.pdf]
  • a recent passport photo
  • valid travel document expiring at least three months following the requested visa 
  • approval (nulla osta) from the competent police authority
  • availability of suitable accommodation

It is important to contact the Embassy to apply for the visa well in advance, to find out if any additional documentation is required (e.g. draft contract, flight booking, letter from the Organisation or University where you are currently working to demonstrate your current occupation, documentation concerning your financial resources, health cover, etc.).
Read more information on Visa for Italy.

Important! The visa may be requested only after having received a copy of the “nulla osta” for the issue of the visa for freelance work purposes. The “nulla osta” will be sent to you by the International Desk.

Once you arrive in Italy

Visiting professors, visiting fellows and other lecturers from the European Union

If you stay in Italy for more than 3 months, you must register with the Registry Office (Iscrizione Anagrafica) in the city where you live.
Discover how to register (iscrizione anagrafica) in the Municipality of Bologna.

Visiting professors, visiting fellows and other lecturers from outside the European Union

Permesso di soggiorno (residence permit)

Once you arrive in Italy, only if you live in Bologna and you plan to stay for less than 90 days you do not need to apply for a residence permit, but within 8 days you must go to the police station (Questura) to report your presence  (Dichiarazione di presenza), if you are not exempted from doing so.

In general, if you have a visa for freelance work purposes and intend to stay in Italy for more than 90 days, within 8 working days of your arrival in Italy, you must apply for a residence permit.

You may contact for help the International Desk (diri.visiting@unibo.it), to fix an appointment with a with a support service (patronato) that will assist you in applying for the permit. Bring with you:

  • €16.00 duty stamp;
  • original passport + photocopy of all pages (including blank ones);
  • documentation concerning your accommodation;
  • health care cover;
  • copy of the contract and any other demonstration of means of support.

The application must be submitted to a Post Office with a “Sportello Amico”. When applying, you must:

  • pay a fee for your electronic residence permit. The cost of the residence permit for freelance work for more than 3 months is 110,46 EUR;
  • fill in an insured letter form for sending the kit. This costs 30 EUR.

When submitting your application at the post office (Sportello Amico) you will receive an appointment to go to the police station (Questura) for photografic registration.

It is very important to go to the appointment, and to indicate the correct address on your permit application. The Questura will send any notices or calls in the event of problems in issuing the residence permit to the indicated address. Important: the name of the professor must be clearly visible on the door panel/letter box.

Keep the receipt you are given at the Post Office, you must show it with your passport in the event of a police check.

To find out the status of your application for issue/renewal after the appointment at the police station (Questura) enter the file code number assigned during the appointment or the insured mail number (the password written on the receipt issued by the Post Office) in the Polizia di Stato website.

Only for the Questura in Bologna, when the residence permit is available you can check the collection methods on the specific website.

Information for visiting professors

Scholars or experts who receive an assignment for teaching activities pursuant to the Regulations for the teaching and tutoring contracts, Rectoral Decree No. 418 of 20/04/2011 are visiting professors.

The calls for the assignment of teaching, tutoring or language training assignments, according to the D.R. 418/2011 are available on the “Bandi” portal, section "Incarichi di didattica" (in Italian).

For the signing of the contract, the registers, the balance sheets and the examination reports you must have a digital signature. Read the instructions to obtain a digital signature on the intranet portal (access via Unibo credentials, in Italian).

Before leaving, make sure you have signed the contract, completed and closed the lesson register.

Read the useful information for visiting professors on the intranet portal (access via Unibo credentials, in Italian).