Course Unit Page

Academic Year 2022/2023

Learning outcomes

The laboratory aims to provide expertise on techniques for demographic analysis at the local level. At the end of the laboratory, the student is able to analyze demographic data, understand the dynamic and structural components that determine demographic change and estimate the expected evolution of the population.

Course contents

The laboratory aims to provide an introduction to the use of the main demographic databases at the local level and their analysis by focusing on the methodologies and techniques useful for estimating the expected evolution of the population.

During the course the contribution of individual demographic components (birth rate, mortality, migration) and the possible consequences on the social and economic organization of different demographic structures will be analyzed.


Gian Carlo Blangiardo, Elementi di demografia, Il Mulino, 2006.

Alessandra De Rose, Alessandro Rosina, Introduzione alla demografia. Analisi e interpretazione delle dinamiche di popolazione, Egea, 2022.

Teaching methods

The laboratory includes lectures held in the classroom and practical exercises in Excel.

Assessment methods

The final grade of the laboratory (out of thirty) consists of two parts; 40% of the final grade is awarded on the basis of lessons attendance and active participation . The remaining 60% is based on the construction and discussion in the classroom of a case study to be developed during the lesson period.

Teaching tools

Material available on virtuale.unibo.it

Office hours

See the website of Angelina Mazzocchetti