41731 - Web-related Technologies

Course Unit Page

  • Teacher Fabio Vitali

  • Credits 6

  • SSD INF/01

  • Teaching Mode Traditional lectures

  • Language Italian

  • Campus of Bologna

  • Degree Programme First cycle degree programme (L) in Information Science for Management (cod. 8014)

    Also valid for First cycle degree programme (L) in Computer Science (cod. 8009)
    First cycle degree programme (L) in Humanities (cod. 8850)

Academic Year 2017/2018

Learning outcomes

At the end of the course, the student knows the most important technologies to create successful web sites and web applications. the student can write documents ready to be published on the web, can determine their visual aspects, can verify their correctness and universality, can create simple distributed applications on the web.

Course contents

The course discusses the following topics:

  1. Fundamentals: VII level protocols, character encodings, standard bodies
  2. Basic web technologies: HTTP, URI, HTML, CSS, XML
  3. Server-side technologies for web applications: php, python, NodeJs
  4. Client-side technologies for web applications: JavaScript, Ajax, JSON, JavaScript frameworks.
  5. Introduction to some technologies of Semantic Web: RDF, OWL, SPARQL, ontologies


Due to the rapid evolution of the topics of the course, there is no textbook available that covers the whole discipline. Students therefore access the slides of the course and are directed to online resources for the necessities of the course and the deepening of the topics discussed.

Teaching methods

The course is composed of classroom lessons, exercises in the laboratory, and the implementation of a project to be carried out by 3-4 people teams. The project is a web application using the most recent technologies for the web.

Assessment methods

The assessment is based on two separate tests: the presentation of the project by the team and a written test carried out individually.

The presentation of the project is taken by the whole team, and is focussed on assessing the correctness, completeness and interoperability of the web application, as well as the individual contribution to the overall project.

The written test is composed of some exercises on the technologies described during the course and a few theoretical questions.

The score of the test constitutes 75% of the final score, and is expressed with a number in the range 0 to 30. The evaluation of the project provides the remaining 25%, expressed as a score between -5 and +5.

Teaching tools

The web site vitali.web.cs.unibo.it contains slides, exercises, sample exam tests, details about the project and the results of the interactive activities carried out by the students during the implementation of the final project.

Office hours

See the website of Fabio Vitali