Civil liability insurance for specialist medical students

  • Coverage for professional risk and civil liability deriving from activities undertaken at the health facilities is paid for by the hospitals and clinics themselves; the insurance covers all the activities performed in the health facilities as well as any activities performed in any legally recognised equivalent external facilities. The insurance covers all care activities.
  • Occupational risk cover and third-party civil liability may be insured by Health Trusts under regional regulations governing the various forms of risk cover.
  • Information on coverage for professional risk and civil liability deriving from activities undertaken at the health facilities and any cover for "serious negligence" can be obtained from the competent offices of the Health Boards or hospitals.
  • Alma Mater Studiorum provides insurance cover for general civil liability deriving from the teaching activities performed in the university premises (also abroad).

Accident and injury insurance for specialist medical students

  • In the event of an accident occurring in a health facility or external location, the medical student shall immediately notify the hospital/clinic where the main training activities are performed, which will notify the event to the INAIL. This is valid wherever the medical student is, even when present in other facilities, of any kind (including the university premises), in the region, on the national territory or abroad. The health authority shall report the event to the INAIL also when occurring during teaching activities.
  • Coverage for the risk of accidents occurring in university facilities during normal teaching activities (also abroad) is ensured by a private policy taken out by the Alma Mater Studiorum at a fee to the medical students (€2.46, paid at the time of registration). In the event of an accident, the persons involved may promptly notify the University Insurance Contracts office (051.2098808) to obtain the necessary information. Accidents should be reports no later than 30 days after the event. Claims must be accompanied by a medical certificate issued by the Accident and Emergency department, as well as a statement from the person in charge of the facility confirming the event.

In the event of an accident, contact:

S.Orsola Malpighi University Hospital:

  • O.U. of Work Medicine, building 1 - 5th floor room n.8 . The service is open from 8.00 am to 2.00 pm from Monday to Friday, phone 051.2142663.
    The procedure is as follows:
    - go to the accident and emergency department, where the first certificate will be issued;
    - immediately inform the person in charge (medical, nursing, technical or administrative manager) of the event;
    - go as soon as possible to the O.U. of Work Medicine to present the first certificate issued by the Accident and Emergency department and have a preliminary interview for the submission of the claim to the INAIL;
    - deliver/send any extension certificates issued by the INAIL or by the qualified physician to the Accidents Office within 3 days
  • Rizzoli Orthopaedic Institute: Attendance Office 051.6366560
  • Bologna Health Board: contact the competent ASL staff attendance office for your place of training. 

    On this, see information supplied by the Health Organization (AUSL).

  • Medical students attending federate/aggregated facilities should contact the competent health boards.


Settore Medici in formazione specialistica - Ufficio Carriere medici in formazione specialistica

(For the administrative fulfilment)


Office: Polo didattico Murri - Policlinico S.Orsola-Malpighi - Via Massarenti 9 - 40138 Bologna. The desk is open by appointment only. Mail: Via Zamboni 33 - 40126 Bologna.

Office hours

Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday:
9:00 - 11:30
Tuesday and Thursday
14:00 - 15:30

+39 051 2094681