Entry and residence in Italy for personal training (visiting scholars from abroad)

Information on entry and residence in Italy of scholars, of appropriate scientific qualifications, from foreign universities or research institutes, invited to the university departments to perform personal training, cooperation projects or scientific exchanges, without remuneration.

The mobility may also be undertaken within international cooperation agreements or projects the University of Bologna takes part in.

For support in the incoming procedures contact the International Desk diri.visiting@unibo.it if the destination is Bologna, otherwise contact the International Relations office on the relative campusCesena, ForlìRavennaRimini.

The activities described below, concerning the International Desk, are done on the campuses by the International Relations offices.

The visa issue procedures take a long time, you should start them well in advance (at least 3 months).

Before arriving in Italy

Visiting scholars from the European Union

You must:

  • check that the identity document is valid for the whole period of your stay in Italy;
  • have appropriate health care coverage valid also for Italy (TEAM card and/or private insurance).

Visiting scholars from outside the European Union

You must apply for a visa for invitation or study purposes (not applicable to scholars from countries which do not require a visa for stays of less than 90 days), usually by submitting:

  • a letter of invitation from the department at the University of Bologna or the documentation concerning the study activities to be undertaken;
  • demonstration of suitable means of financial support;
  • availability of accommodation (hotel booking, declaration of hosting undersigned by an EU citizen or other foreign national with a residence permit for Italy);
  • insurance policy for medical care and hospital treatment, if the foreign national does not have the right to health care in Italy by virtue of agreements in force with his home country. For the study visa, read more information on Medical Assistance for Foreign Students.

Contact your competent Italian Embassy well in advance to check which documentation is specifically required. Read more information on Visa for Italy.

In order to obtain a study visa, you should also pre-enrol online via the Universitaly portal. In the application you must indicate:

  • “Specify the reason for the visa application”: I want to spend a mobility period for study/traineeship (e.g. Erasmus);

  • “Course information”: Institution: Università di Bologna, Course type: Corso/i singolo/i – Single course(s), Course name: in the text field you must describe your position at the University of Bologna, e.g.: Visiting Scholar (and your reference professor at Unibo).

Important: the visa by invitation does not allow you to request a residence permit or receive any form of payment. Expenses in some cases may be refunded.

The study visa allows you to apply for a residence permit. During the period of validity of the residence permit for study purposes, you may perform work activities for no more than 20 hours a week, which are cumulative over fifty-two weeks, with a maximum limit of 1.040 hours

Once you arrive in Italy

Visiting scholars  from the European Union

If you stay in Italy for more than 3 months, you must register with the Registry Office (Iscrizione Anagrafica) in the city where you live.
Find out how to register (iscrizione anagrafica) in the Municipality of Bologna.

Visiting scholars from outside the European Union

Permesso di soggiorno (residence permit)
If you have a visa for study purposes and intend to stay in Italy for more than 90 days, within 8 working days of your arrival in Italy you must apply for a residence permit.