Withdrawal from studies

The withdrawal from studies is the act through which you decide to end your university career.

What is it and how to apply

The withdrawal from studies is a formal and irreversible act that does not entitle you to a refund of the tuition fees paid.

To withdraw from your studies:

  • Go to Studenti Online, fill in the application form and pay the €16 stamp duty.
  • You may apply at any time during the year; your application will only be accepted if you do not have any outstanding tuition fees with the University or any debts with ER.GO (e.g. scholarships or other contributions you have obtained from ER.GO and which you must repay).

What you can do if you have withdrawn from your studies

If you have withdrawn from your studies at any Italian university and wish to start a new university career at the University of Bologna, you must re-enrol. You can however ask the Degree Programme Board to consider recognising all or part of your previous credits. To do this, you will first have to pay a €200 fee. You will find all the relevant information on the Shortening of programme page.

Students with non-European Union citizenship residing abroad (non-EU students)

If you are a non-EU student and wish to withdraw from your studies, keep the following in mind:

  • If you withdraw from your studies you lose the requirements you need to stay in Italy.
  • If you withdraw from your studies and wish to enrol at the same or at a different university, you cannot use the same residence permit issued for study purposes that you used for your previous enrolment; you will have to repeat the pre-enrolment process at an Italian consulate/embassy in your country of residence. 

We suggest you contact the International Desk to request information regarding your stay in Italy.