Associate professor at the University of Bologna since 2015. Her research interests and activities span several disciplines, namely sociolinguistics (the sociolinguistics of Irish Gaelic), audiovisual translation(dubbing, subtitling and voice-over), humour studies (i.e. the perception of dubbed and subtitled humour), the study of professional and non-professional linguistic mediation, child Language brokering.
Degree in Interpreting in 1999 from the Advanced School of Modern Languages for Interpreters and Translators (SSLMIT), University of Bologna.
PhD in Sociolinguistics in 2012 from the University of Newcastle upon Tyne, UK, with a thesis on Language Attitudes in Old and New Gaeltacht Areas. Examiners: Dr. Rosaleen Howard (internal), Dr. Dr Máiréad Nic Craith (external, University of Ulster). Supervisors: Prof. Karen Corrigan (1st), Prof. Li Wei(2nd).
Study and research bursaries: Udaras na Gaeltachta (1999), Bord na Gaeilge (1999), Economic and Social Research Council (2000-2001), Arts Faculty Runciman Scholarship (2000-2001) British Association of Irish Studies (2000).
After working as a research assistant (from 2001 to 2005) for the University of Bologna, in 2006 I won the position of Lecturer (disciplinary scientific sector: L-LIN/12, Language and Translation) at the former Department of Interdisciplinary Studies on Translation, Languages and Cultures of the University of Bologna.
In 2014 I passed the (Italian) National Academic Qualification as Associate Professor.
2015 to date President of the Traineeship Programme Committee.
2015 to date Member of the Council of the Doctoral School in Translation, Interpreting and Intercultural Studies of the University of Bologna.
2015 to date Head of the English section of the Department of Interpreting and Translation, University of Bologna.
2013 to date Representative of the Dept. of Interpreting and Translation, University of Bologna, for the Centro Interuniversitario di Analisi dell’Interazione e della Mediazione (AIM). AIM is an inter-university and inter-disciplinary research centre created to promote research activities and training, information dissemination on social interactions in institutional settings, with a special focus on verbal interaction involving speakers of foreign languages (linguistic and cultural mediation, verbal interaction in business and job settings, interpreting and translation studies).
2007 – coordinator of Strategic Project: INTERPRETAZIONE E MEDIAZIONE ISTITUZIONALE AD OPERA DI PICCOLI UTENTI IN EMILIA-ROMAGNA (E IN ITALIA), University of Bologna (€64.000)
2011 - preparatory visit at Kazimierz Wielki University for project planning within the Life Learning Projects programme (Convenzione LLP-LDV-PV-11-IT-806)
2012 - member of the PICT project - Promoting Intercultural Competence in Translators (517871-LLP-1-2011-1-UK-ERASMUS-EMRCDal
2014 - member of MeTRA - Centro di Studi interdisciplinari sulla Mediazione e la Traduzione a opera di e per Ragazze/i
2010/2011/2016 Traduttori in Erba (Translators in Bud) school contest for primary and middle school pupils
2015/2016 Awareness raising presentations on Child Language Brokering for:
- Representatives of public service bodies of Forlì
- Ordine dei Medici di Forlì-Cesena (Medical Council of Forlì-Cesena)
- Pediatri di Comunità, Forlì-Cesena (Community pediatricians of Forlì-Cesena)
From 2003 to date, at the Advanced School of Modern Languages for Interpreters and Translators, then renamed Department of Interpreting and Translation, University of Bologna:
- Linguistic Mediation between Italian and English (1st Cycle degree in Intercultural and Linguistic Mediation)
- Liaison Interpreting between English and Italian
- Simultaneous Interpreting Between English and Italian (2nd Cycle degree in Conference Interpreting)
- English Language and Culture (1st Cycle degree in Intercultural and Linguistic Mediation)
- English Language and Linguistics (2nd Cycle degree in Translation)
- Multimedia Translation (2nd Cycle degree in Translation)
- 'Subtitling' and 'Voice-over' ( Master in Screen Translation, University of Bologna).
I have supervised numerous undergraduate, graduate and post-graduate (master and PhD) theses on multimedia translation, professional and non-professional interpreting and translation, sociolinguistics.
Since 2012 I am a member of the scientific committee of the International Conference on Non-professional Interpreting and Translation series that I founded with my research group, In MedIO PUER(I) (first edition in 2012, University of Bologna in Forlì; second edition in 2014 University of Germersheim, Germany; third edition in 2016, University of Zurich at Winterthur; fourth edition in 2018, University of Stellenbosch, South Africa).
2004 – Emerging Scholar in Humour Studies.
From 2001 to date I have presented my research at numerous national and international conferences both as a delegate and key-note speaker.
Organization of conferences and dissemination events
1. 14th Conference of the International Society for Humor Studies, Bertinoro, Forlì, 3-7 luglio 2002.
2. First European Workshop in Humour Studies – Humour, Language, Culture and Translation, Bertinoro, 22-25 maggio 2003.
3. Second European Workshop in Humour Studies – Humour, Language, Culture and Gender, Bertinoro, 20-22 maggio 2004.
4. Third European Workshop in Humour Studies – Humour, Language, Culture and Conversation, Bertinoro, 26-28 maggio 2005.
5. International Study Day on Child Language Brokering, Forlì, SITLeC, Università di Bologna, 6 novembre 2008.
6. Study Day on Non-professional Linguistic and Cultural Mediation, Forlì, SSLMIT, Università di Bologna, gennaio 2011.
7. First International conference on Non-professional Interpreting and Translation (NPIT1), Forlì, DIT, Università di Bologna, maggio 2012.
Member of the following associations:
1. Associazione Italiana Anglistica (A.I.A.)
2. Associazione Umbria Film Festival
3. International Society for Humor Studies (ISHS)
4. European Association for Studies in Screen Translation (ESIST)
5. European Society for Translation Studies (EST)
European Journal of Applied Linguistics
International Journal of Bilingual Education and Bilignualism
International Journal of Migration
Journal of Pragmatics
I am one of the founding members of the Association Umbria Film Festival (www.umbriafilmfestival.com).
In the past 25 years I have worked as a professional (consecutive and liaison) interpreter and translator (Italian↔English and Italian↔Spanish) in the field of literature, cinema, business and legal contexts (manuals and contracts), real estate.