PROF CLAUDIO TROMBINI - CURRICULUM VITAE
- He studied chemistry at the University of Bologna where he
received his degree in chemistry cum laude in 1973 under the
supervision of Prof. Angelo G. Giumanini, working on Stevens and
Sommelet rearrangements in heterobenzylic quaternary ammonium
- In 1974-75, he spent 18 months as an EURATOM fellow
with Dr. Sergio Facchetti at the EURATOM Joint Research Centre of
Ispra (Italy), where he was involved in the synthesis and mass
spectrometry studies of organomercury compounds.
- In 1975 he joined the Prof. Achille Umani-Ronchi group and
worked at the University of Bologna as an Italian CNR fellow up to
1979, carrying out research activity in the field of organic
synthesis. His main interest focused in the development of new
reduction protocols using the lamellar compound potassium-graphite
and in the preparation of highly dispersed metals on graphite and
their use as heterogeneous catalysts or reagents in organic
- In 1979 he was appointed as Lecturer at the Faculty of
Mathematical, Physical and Natural Sciences of the University
- In 1985 he was appointed as Associate Professor.
- In 1990 he moved part of his teaching duties and research
activities at the campus of Ravenna of the University of Bologna,
where he taught Organic Chemistry to the bachelor students of
Environmental Sciences. In Ravenna he co-founded the lab of
environmental chemistry, where he carried out studies on (i) the
biogeochemical cycle of mercury in an industrially polluted coastal
wetland, (ii) the development of new analytical protocols for
mercury speciation, and (iii) the monitoring of airborne fine
particulate matter in industrial and urban environments and on its
- In 1994 he was promoted to Full Professor of Organic
- From 1994 to 2003 he also taught applied Organic
Chemistry to the students of the Master Course in Chemistry at the
University of Bologna.
- In 2003 he moved back to Bologna, and since 2007 he
has served as Chairman of the Master Course in Advanced
Chemical Methodologies, now transformed in master Course in
Chemistry, where he is responsible of the course
of Organic Synthesis.
Professional, Organization and Administrative
- From 1995 to 1996 he was delegate of the Dean of the
Faculty of Mathematical, Physical and Natural Sciences
of the University of Bologna at the campus of Ravenna.
- From 1996 to 1998 he was member of the Organizing
Committee of the Corbella Summer School of Organic Chemistry of the
Italian Chemical Society, yearly held in Gargnano.
- From 1997 to 1999 he was appointed Director of Administration
Center of the Ravenna campus.
- From 1997 to 2002 he was Chairman of the Doctorate School of
Environmental Sciences: Preservation and Management of the Natural
Resources, of the University of Bologna.
- In 2001 he was Chairman of the Organizing Committee of the 3rd
Italian German Symposium on Organic Chemistry, held a Ravenna
(30/03 - 01/04/2001).
- From 2003 to 2013 he was member of the teaching staff of the
Doctorate School of Chemical Sciences of the University of
- In 2009 he was appointed as member of the Scientific Committee
of the Ischia Advanced School in Organic Chemistry (IASOC)
organized by the Italian Chemical Society.
- From 2007 to 2013 he was Chairman of the Master degree in
Chemistry of the University of Bologna.
- Since 2010 he is member of the International Advisory Board
- In the period 2011-2014 he is member of the management
committee of COST Action CM905-Organocatalysis
- In 2012-2014 he was coordinator of a great relevance bilateral project with India and funded by the Italian Foreign Office entitled: Design and Synthesis of new antimalarial molecules.
- In the 2011-2015 period is visiting professor at the Universities of Pune (India), Algarve (P), Friburg (CH) e Barcelona (E).
- In 2015 is a co-organizer of the the XXXVI Convegno Nazionale della Divisione di Chimica Organica della Società Chimica Italiana (13-17 Sep. 2015, Bologna).
- In 2012 he received the GICO senior Prize from the
Interdivisional Group of Organometallic Chemistry of the Italian
- In 2013 he received the PINO medal from the Division of
Organic Chemistry of the Italian Chemical Society.
- In 2013 he was appointed member of the Academy of Sciences of
the Institute of Bologna.
- In 2012-2014 he is responsible of the high relevance research project MAE Italia-India entitled: Design and development of new antimalarial leads for chloroquine-resistant Plasmodium strains" .
- In 2015 he is chairman of the Organizing Committee of the XXXVI National Meeting of the Divsion of Organic Chemistry of the Italian Chemical Society.
The expertise in applied organic chemistry and sustainable
approaches to organic synthesis is now focused on the following
1) Synthesis of bioactive molecules, in particular of new
2) Synthesis of sensors for bioanalytical applications.
3) Development of new catalysts and experimental procedures in organocatalysis and organometallic catalysis.
Bibliometric data (SCOPUS): 160 pubblications, h index = 37, citation number 4210.
Total number of publications 170, that include 4 patents e 7 chapters of books.