2002 Ph.D, “La Sapienza”, University of Rome
1997 MA, SOAS, University of London
1996 BA, University of Bologna
Main academic appointments
2016 (May-July), Senior Fellow at the Annemarie Schimmel Kolleg, "History and Society during the Mamluk Era (1250-1517)", Centre for Advanced Studies, Rheinische Friedrich Wilhems Universität Bonn.
2015 (Oct.) to present Associate professor in the History of Islam and Muslim Civilization, University of Bologna
2011- 2015 Assistant professor in the History of Islam and Muslim Civilization, University of Bologna.
2010-2011 Research fellow, Zentrum Moderner Orient, Berlin
2006-2007 Teaching fellow in the History of Islam and Near and middle East, SOAS, University of London
Grants and awards
2010-2011 Individual research grant - DFG (Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft) for the project: “Islamic pathways of reform: the reception of Ibn Taymiyya between the xvith and xviii centuries”.
2002-2003 Research grant for junior scholars - Institute of Religious Sciences– Istituto Trentino di Cultura – Trento (Italy).
1998-2001 Doctoral research grant, Department of Oriental Studies, University of Rome “La Sapienza”.
1996 Fees award grant - British Academy (UK)
1996 One year grant for post-graduate MAs abroad, University of Bologna.
Boards, fellowship and professional affiliation
- Editorial board of Cromohs, Cyber Review of Modern Historiography.
- Editorial board of the series, Chiese e culture religiose, New Digital Frontiers.
- Research associate (2007-) Department of History, School of Oriental and African Studies (University of London).
- Ibn Taymiyya: una vita esemplare. Analisi delle fonti classiche della sua biografia. Supplemento monografico n. 1 alla Rivista di Studi Orientali, LXXVI (2003) (Pisa-Roma: Istituti Poligrafici Internazionali, 2003), 233pp.
Edited books/journal special issues
- with Livnat Holtzman (ed.), A Scholar in the Shadow – Essays in the Legal and Theological Thought of Ibn al-Qayyim al-Jawziyya, special issue of Oriente Moderno, n.s XC/1 (2010) (Roma: Herder), 293pp.
- Alfred -Louis de Prémare, Alle origini del Corano, prima edizione italiana a cura di Caterina Bori (Roma: Carocci, 2014).
- Ibn Taymiyya: Receptions (14th – 17th Century), special issue of The Musliwm World 108/1 (2018), pp. 206.
Articles in peer-reviewed journals
- "Ibn Taymiyya (14th to 17thcentury): Transregional spaces of reading and reception", The Muslim World 108/1 (2018), pp. 87-123.
- “The Collection and Edition of Ibn Taymiyya's works: Concerns of Disciple” in: The Mamluk Studies Review xiii/2 (2009), pp. 47-67.
- “A new source for the biography of Ibn Taymiyya” in: Bulletin of the School of Oriental and African Studies 67/3 (2004), pp. 321-48.
Chapters in edited volumes
-"Ms Istanbul Şehid Ali Paşa 1553 : a Neglected Version of Ibn Taymīya’s al-Siyāsa al-Sharʿīya and its Manuscript", in ASK collective volume, Bonn University Press (forthcoming).
- The Many Roads to Justice : A Case of Adultery in Sixteenth Century Cairo., in: L. Biasiori - C. Ginzburg, A Historical Approach to Casuistry. Norms and Exceptions in Comparative Perspective, London- New York, Bloomsbury, 2019, pp. 113-131.
- "Religious Knowledge between Scholarly Conservatism and Commoners' Agency", in: Armando Salvatore and Roberto Tottoli (eds), The Wiley-Blackwell History of Islam and Islamic Civilization, pp. (Oxford: Blackwell Publishing Ltd) [2017, forthcoming].
- "Un caos senza speranza? Studiare il Corano oggi", in: Alfred -Louis de Prémare, Alle origini del Corano, prima edizione italiana a cura di Caterina Bori (Roma: Carocci, 2014), 11-59.
- "Theology, Politics and Society: the Missing Link. Studying Religion in the Mamluk Period" in: Stephan Conermann (ed.): Ubi sumus? Quo vademus? Mamluk Studies – State of the Art (Göttingen: Bonn University Press 2013), pp. 57-94.
- with Livnat Holtzman, “A Scholar in the Shadow”, in: A Scholar in the Shadow: Essays in the Legal and Theological Thought of Ibn Qayyim al-Jawziyya, (Roma: Herder, 2010), pp. 13-44.
- “Ibn Taymiyya wa-jama῾atuhu. Authority, Conflict and Consensus in Ibn Taymiyya's circle”: in Yossef Rapoport - Muhammad Shahab Ahmed (ed.), Ibn Taymiyya and his Times (Karachi: Oxford University Press, 2010), pp. 23-5.
Entries in encyclopaedias:
- art. “al-Dhahabi”, in: Encyclopaedia of Islam, THREE. Part 2016-1. pp. 73-80.
- art. "Hasan Kafi al-Aqhisari", in: Encyclopaedia of Islam and Politics (Oxford-New York, Oxford University Press, 2014), pp. 80-83.