Research topics are:
1) Antitumor Pharmacology
- Identification of plant-derived compounds with potential cancer
chemopreventive activity and definition of their mechanism of
action at cellular and molecular levels on different cell models (in vitro, in vivo and ex vivo).
- Preclinical development of phytochemicals as antitumor
2) Cellular and Genetic Toxicology
- Investigation of critical cellular and molecular events related
to carcinogenesis induced by exposure to xenobiotics (drugs,
phytochemicals, pesticides, etc.).
- Study of the risk of cancer in exposed populations by using
biomarkers of effect.
Technical experience includes a wide range of genotoxicity tests, different techniques of molecular cytogenetics (FISH), several flow cytometric techniques for the analysis of different cellular and molecular events (genetic damage, apoptosis, necrosis, cell cycle, cell proliferation, levels of proteins involved in different cellular pathways), capillary electrophoresis.