M.A.in Political Science (2001), Annalisa Furia received her Ph.D. in History of Modern and
Contemporary Political Thought from the University of Perugia in
2005, defending a thesis on Il concetto di cittadino nel pensiero politico di Sieyes, 1770-1795 [The concept of citizenship in the political thought of Sieyes, 1770-1795] elaborated as a result of archival research carried out at the Archives Nationales of Paris. In the same year, she completed the Course on the Protection of Human Rights in the European Union, promoted by the Law Union for the Promotion of Human Rights - Law School of Region of Lazio and sponsored by the (then) Secretary General of the Council of Europe, Terry Davis.
After having been awarded a Postdoctoral Research Fellowship
(2006-2008) and several Research Fellowships (2008- 2016) by the University of Bologna, in 2016 she was appointed as Lecturer in History of Political Thought at the Department of Cultural Heritage of the University of Bologna, Ravenna Campus. In March 2017 she obtained the National Scientific Qualification as Associate Professor and was then appointed as Associate Professore in the same Department (3rd October 2019).
She has taught several undergraduate and graduate seminars and
modules in Italian and foreign Universities, Summer School and academic training courses.
Currently she teaches "Political Power Beyond State Boundaries: Migration, Development and Human Rights" (in English) for the MA Degree Programme I-CONTACT and "History of Political Thought" (in English) for the BA Degree Programme on Diplomatic and International Sciences of the University of Bologna.
Since 2011 she has been member of the Scientific Committee and of the teaching staff of the Master's Course on Human Rights, Migrations, Development, now renamed Human Rights, Migrations and Cultural Inclusion, of the University of Bologna.
In 2018/2019 she has taught Social Justice: Immigration and Globalization (24hrs , in English) for the Spring Hill College -Bologna.
Over the years, she has supervised more than 50 graduate and undergraduate dissertations.
Research activity and grants
Over the years, she spent several months researching at the Université Paris 1 Panthéon-Sorbonne, the Fondation Nationale des Sciences Politiques (FNSP), and the Archives Nationales of Paris (2001, 2004).
She was Visiting Research Fellow in the Sussex Centre for Migration Research – School of Global Studies, University of Sussex (UK) (November 2011- February 2012), and in the Centre for Law and Social Justice of the University of Leeds (29th September - 4th October 2019).
In the last three years she has obtained the following research grants:
- Project Amitié CODE- Capitalizing on Development (DCI NSAED/2014/338-472) - (Scientific Coordinator from 2016 to 2018, coordinated by the municipality of Bologna) - UNIBO Budget: 160.673,34 euros.
- Fondo per le attività base di ricerca 2017 (FFABR): 3000 euros.
- Funding Scheme ALMAIDEA Grant Junior 2017 (P.I.) - Project on "La vulnerabilità come metodo critico. Una ricerca interdisciplinare tra teorie, dottrine e casi studio": 20.000 euros.
Until the appointment as Associate Professore she was the Representative of Lecturers in the Board (Giunta) of the Department of Cultural Heritage (November 2018 - October 2019).
Currently she has the following institutional roles:
- Member of the Academic Board of the PhD Course on "Future Earth, Climate Change and Societal Challenges" of the University of Bologna (since the 36th cycle).
- Programme Coordinator of the I-Contact Programme (since November 2019).
- Member of the Research Commission of the Department of Cultural Heritage (since May 2018).
- Representative of the Department of Cultural Heritage for the Project “Living Values” of the University of Bologna (since April 2018).
- Member, on behalf of the Department of Cultural Heritage, of the Scientific Commitee Scientifico of the Convenzione Quadro su “Genere e Religioni” (since July 2017).
- Responsible for the Erasmus exchange programs with the Universities of Lyon, Frankfurt, Giessen, Bochum, Brema, Malta, Bucarest, Bilbao (since October 2016).
- Representative of the University of Bologna within the Consiglio di indirizzo of the Fondazione "Scuola di Pace di Monte Sole" (since February 2018).
She was a Human Rights
Consultant of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs - CIDU to the UN Committee on
the Convention on the Rights of the Child (Geneva – 2006).
In 2009 she was Scientific Coordination Assistant of the Line of intervention 1 of the National Programme for Unaccompanied Minors promoted by the Ministry of Labour and Social Policy and implemented by ANCI (National Association of Local Authorities).
From 2008 to 2013 she has collaborated, as Researcher and then as Inter/national Programme Coordinator, with the NGO Defence for Children International on many national and EU-funded projects on migration and child migration policies.
Recently (2011-2013) she has been Researcher and Member of the Scientific Committee of
AMITIE - Awareness on MIgration,developmenT
and humanrIghts through local partnerships, promoted by the
Municipality of Bologna and co-funded by the Europeaid
Programme, and of the following Project "Amitié CODE- Capitalizing on Development", again promoted by the Municipality of Bologna and of which she was Scientific Coordinator from 2016 to 2018 (October 2016 - January 2018).
Over the years, she has coordinated/taken part in many training programs for civil servants and practitioners on migration issues, and she has coordinated local initiatives on integration and migration communication/conception.
National Prize for the best Phd thesis in History of Political
Thought (July 2006).
Affiliation with scientific societies:
- Member of the Associazione Italiana degli Storici delle Dottrine
Politiche - AISDP (Italian Associationof Historians of Political
- Member of the European Society for the History of Political Thought (ESHPT).
- Member of the Società Italiana delle Storiche - SIS (Italian Association of Female Historians).
- Admitted to the "Albo dei Tutori" (List of Academic Tutors) of the Collegio Superiore of the University of Bologna for the a.a 2019-2022.
- Member of the Scientific Committee of the Archivio storico-giuridico Anselmo Cassani at the Centro di Ricerca Interdipartimentale su Discriminazioni e Vulnerabilità of the University of Moderna andReggio Emilia (since September 2019).
- Member of the Scientific Commission for the creation of the Law Clinic “Victims and discrimination" of the Department of Law of the University of Bologna (a.a. 2015/2016).
Affiliation with research centers and networks:
- Member of CIRSFID - Interdepartmental Centre for Research in the History, Philosophy and Sociology of Law, and in Legal Informatics of the University of Bologna.
- Member of the Center for Constitutional Studies, Cultures, Rights, Democracies- Europe, Asia, Mediterranean, University of Bologna.
- Member of the Child Migration Research
Network, run by the Migrating out of Poverty Research
Programme Consortium at the University of Sussex.
- Member of the "Borders of Solidarity" Research Network.
Collaboration with scientific journals:
- Member of the "Il Pensiero politico" Journal Editorial Committee.
- Member of the Editorial Board of the on-line journal "Athena. A Journal of Multicultural Epistemologies".
- Peer-Reviewer for "Alternatives. Global, Local, Political" (SAGE Publications), "Ricerche di Storia Politica" (il Mulino), "Afriche e Orienti" (AIEP Editore),"Current Anthropology" (University of Chicago Press).