Current researches focus on the following themes:
1) Search and purification of new RIPs, especially from edible
plants, in order to understand their distribution and physiological
role in the plant kingdom.
2) Sequencing and cloning of selected RIPs.
3) Relationship between RIP structure and function.
4) Mechanisms of cytotoxicity of RIP. Correlation of endocytosis,
intracellular routing and molecular damages with apoptosis or other
cell death pathways.
5) Experimental nanosurgery with toxins. Development of a new
therapy for strabismus and other ocular-motility disorders, based
on extra-ocular muscle toxin injection.
6) Carrier/toxin conjugates for anti-neoplastic and
immunosuppressive experimental therapy. Development and
testing, in vitro and in vivo, of new chemical or recombinant
immunotoxins for the therapy of hematological malignancies, GvHD
and transplant rejection.