Prof. Bordoni's research fields are mainly related to:
1. Elucidation of the cellular and molecular mechanisms of action
of n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids in the heart cell, in order to
use them as preventive and therapeutic agents in cardiovascular
2. Evaluation of the protective effect of different
micronutrients against the increased production of free radicals.
Implications in human pathologies.
3. Evaluation of he effect of
the supplementation of food extracts of plant origin on different
biomarkers of oxidative stress.
4. Biochemical and molecular
mechanisms of action of polyphenols beyond their antioxidant
5. Efficacy of the supplementation with phytosterols in
the regulation of cholesterolemia.
6. Use of innovative,
non-thermal technologies for the preservation of nutritional
characteristic in food.
7. Nutritional survey to identify
unbalanced nutritional intakes in subgroups of population
8. Evaluation of nutrient bioaccessibility via an in vitro digestion system.
Prof. Bordoni published more than 150 articles in international peer reviewed journals on the above mentioned topics. She also authored chapters in several books.
She is member of the Borad of the Italian Society of Human Nutrition (SINU), and she coordinated the "lipids" section of the new Italian Dietary Reference Intakes (LARN).
She is Editor in Chief of the interbnational journal Food and Nutrition Science, and member of the Editorial Board of Food Research International.
She participated in several EU projects, and coordinated the EU project PATHWAY-27, ended in January 2018.