Degree in history and philosophy at the Catholic University of
Milan, 1966, cum laude
Ph.D. in economic history at the University of Oxford (G.B.),
Professor of Economic History at the University of
Previous teaching positions: Trieste (1975-79), Florence
(1979-87), Bologna (1987-90), Cassino (1990-93).
Visiting professor of European Economic History at the Bologna
Centre of the Johns Hopkins University 1973 to the present.
Co-founder and co-editor (1997-2001) of the European Review
of Economic History.
In the advisory board of the leading Italian publishing house Il
Degree honoris causa from the University of Umeå (Sweden) in
Secretary general of the Italian Economic History Society
(1989-1993), member of the Italian National Research Council
(1994-1999), member of GEV 13 of ANVUR (2011-13); trustee of the Bologna branch of the Bank of Italy
(1996-2000, 2011-2012), Degree ad honorem from Umea University (Sweden) in 2001.
Vicepresident of the Emilia-Romagna Regional
Government (2000-2002); member of the Institute of the Italian
Encyclopedia Treccani (2006-2011). president of the Association of friends of Hospice Seragnoli; vice president of the NGO Cefa.
Publications include more than 140 essays, 12 volumes and 14
edited volumes, mostly in Italian, but a few in English and some in
Spanish. They cover the economic history of Italy 1860 to present
in the context of European and World economic history of the last
two centuries, with special reference to reconstruction of national
income estimates, regional disequilibria, income distribution and
wages, state intervention, business history, evolution of the
cooperative movement, European integration.