Dr. Rita Mazzoni,
In 2001 I took the Degree in Industrial Chemistry at Industrial
Chemistry Faculty of the University of Bologna. I took the PhD in
Chemical Science in 2005 at the same University under the
supervision of Prof. L. Busetto. The title of my PhD thesis is:
"New cyclopentadienyl ligands and their use in organometallic
chemistry and catalysis." In 2003 I spent six month in the lab of
Prof. P.W.N.M. Van Leeuwen at the University of Asterdam extending
my interest in organometallic complexes on the immobilization of
ciclopentadienyl rhodium complexes on dendrimers and resins for
catalysis pourposes. In 2004 I received a prize for the best
presentation during the IV Sigma Aldrich Young Chemists Symposium
(2004). The talk titled "Immobilization of
[Rh(NBD)(C5H4CO2(CH2)2OH)] on Poly(propylenimine) Dendrimers" has
been published as a newsletter on the Aldrichimica Acta, vol. 37,
2004, NÂ°1. Furthermore in 2005 I have been awarded a prize for the
best PhD thesis in inorganic chemistry (XVII cycle) by the
Inorganic Chemistry Division of the Italian Chemical Society in
occasion of its the XXXIII National Conference (Siena 11-16 July
2005). From January 2005 to the end of September 2006 I continued
my research activity at the Department of Fisical and Inorganic
Chemistry with two Post-doc grants working, under the supervision
of Prof. L. Busetto and Dr. M.C. Cassani, on the preparation of new
ciclopentadienylic complexes to be used in catalysis with
particular attention to the heterogenization on organic and
inorganic support (conventional matrix and nanomaterials). At the
present time I am a researcher (CHIM03) at the Department of
Industrial Chemistry "Toso Montanari". My major research activities
are as follow: synthesis, characterization and studies of
properties and catalytic activity of transition metal complexes
(e.g.: Ag, Rh, Ru, Fe) bearing ligands such as fuctionalized
ciclopentadienyls, N-heterocyclic carbenes and bridging ligands in
dinuclear iron complexes. I recently started working on homogeneous
catalysis applied to the valorization of biomass
derivatives (e.g.: bio-oil upgrading - with particular attention to
the hydrogenation of model mixtures - and hydrogenation of
platform bio-based chemicals such as HMF) with ruthenium
complexes. My scientific activity is documented by 34 international
publications with referees system and a European patent. Several
communications have also been presented during national and
international meetings. The above described research has been
developed within the framework of the following research projects:
National interest research programme (P.R.I.N.): "Chemistry of
functionalized p-extended ligands"; "Chemistry of polyfunctional
ligands bearing delocalized systems"; "New strategies for the
control of metal assisted reactions: unconventional interactions of
molecular fragments"; â€œDesign of Unsaturated ligands for
combination with metal toward sustainability". Multi annual project
of the University of Bologna (2004) of Department of Fisical and
Inorganic Chemistry "Molecular materials for application in
nanoelectronic and catalysis". Strategic project of University of
Bologna (2007-2009): â€œAgro-energy farm: pyrolysis of biomass and
upgrading of the liquid fraction for fuel production"â€šÂ¬ FARB
Project from University of Bologna â€œCatalytic transformation of
biomass-derived materials into high added-value chemicals"
2014-2015. I have been member of the managing committee of the
young group of the Italian Chemical Society (2006-2011). I have
been member of the scientific committee and organizing committee of
the VIII, IX, X and XI Sigma Aldrich Young Chemists Symposium,
Pesaro, Italy, 2008-2011. Concerning teaching
activities I have been supervisor or co-supervisor of
ten thesis of master degree and eleven thesis of bachelor
degree and supervisor or co-supervisor of three PhD students
in chemical science (XXV, XVIII, XXX cycles). I have been also
lecturer (AA 2007/2008 to today) of teaching of laboratory of
inorganic chemistry and laboratory of general and inorganic
chemistry for bachelor and master degrees: Corso di Laurea in
Chimica e tecnologie per l'ambiente e per i materiali - curriculum:
ambiente, energia, rifiuti (bachelor), Corso di Laurea in Chimica
Industriale (bachelor and master), at the University of
LIST OF PUBLICATIONS
1) GELMINI, S. ALBONETTI, F. CAVANI, C. CESARI, A. LOLLI, V. ZANOTTI, R. MAZZONI (2016) Oxidant free one-pot transformation of bio-based2,5-bis-hydroxymethylfuran into -6-hydroxy-6-methyl-4-enyl-2H-pyran-3-one in water APPLIED CATALYSIS B: ENVIRONMENTAL, 180, 38–43.
2) A. CINGOLANI, C. CESARI, S. ZACCHINI, V. ZANOTTI, M. C. CASSANI, R. MAZZONI (2015)Straightforward synthesis of iron cyclopentadienone N-heterocyclic carbene complexes DALTON TRANSACTION, DOI: 10.1039/c5dt03071d.
3) R. MAZZONI, A. GABICCINI, C. CESARI, V. ZANOTTI, I. GUALANDI, D. TONELLI (2015) Diiron Complexes Bearing Bridging Hydrocarbyl Ligands as Electrocatalysts for Proton Reduction ORGANOMETALLICS, 34, 3228−3235.
4) C. CESARI, R. MAZZONI, H. MULLER-BUNZ, M. ALBRECHT (2015) Ruthenium(0) complexes with triazolylidene spectator ligands: Oxidative activation for (de)hydrogenation catalysis J. ORGANOMET. CHEM., 793, 256-262.
5) C. CESARI, S. CONTI, S. ZACCHINI, V. ZANOTTI, M. C. CASSANI, R. MAZZONI (2014) Sterically driven synthesis of ruthenium and ruthenium-silver N-heterocyclic carbene complexes DALTON TRANSACTION, 43, 17240-17243.
6) C. CESARI, L. SAMBRI, S. ZACCHINI, V. ZANOTTI, R. MAZZONI (2014) Microwave-Assisted Synthesis of Functionalized Shvo-Type Complexes ORGANOMETALLICS, vol. 33, 2814-2819.
7) T. PASINI, G. SOLINAS, V. ZANOTTI, S. ALBONETTI, F. CAVANI, A. VACCARI, A. MAZZANTI, S. RANIERI, R. MAZZONI (2014) Substrate and product role in the Shvo's catalyzed selective hydrogenation of the platform bio-based chemical 5-hydroxymethylfurfural DALTON TRANSACTION, vol. 43, 10224-10234.
8) E. SCAVETTA, R. MAZZONI, F. MARIANI, R. G. MARGUTTA, A. BONFIGLIO, M. DEMELAS, S. FIORILLI, M. MARZOCCHI, B. FRABONI (2014) Dopamine amperometric detection at a ferrocene clicked PEDOT:PSS coated electrode JOURNAL OF MATERIAL CHEMISTRY B, vol 2, p. 2014, 2, 2861-2867.
9) M. C. CASSANI, M. A. BRUCKA, C. FEMONI, M. MANCINELLI, A. MAZZANTI, R. MAZZONI, G. SOLINAS (2014) N-Heterocyclic carbene rhodium(I) complexes containing an axis of chirality: dynamics and catalysis NEW JOURNAL OF CHEMISTRY, vol. 38, p. 1768—1779.
10) R. MAZZONI, M. SALMI, S. ZACCHINI, L. BUSETTO, V. ZANOTTI (2014). Polysubstituted ferrocenes from [3+2] cycloaddition of alkynes with diiron bridging C3 ligands: Vinyliminium, bis-alkylidene and enimine. JOURNAL OF ORGANOMETALLIC CHEMISTRY, vol. 751, p. 336-342.
11) R. MAZZONI, M. SALMI, S. ZACCHINI, V. ZANOTTI (2013). Iron-Catalyzed Ferrocenylmethanol OH Substitution by S, N, P, and C Nucleophiles. EUROPEAN JOURNAL OF INORGANIC CHEMISTRY, vol. 2013, p. 3710-3718.
12) L. BUSETTO, R. MAZZONI, M. SALMI, S. ZACCHINI, V. ZANOTTI (2012). Ferrocenes Containing a Pendant Propargylic Chain Obtained via Addition of Propargyl Alcohol to Vinyliminium Ligands in Diiron Complexes. ORGANOMETALLICS, vol. 31, p. 2667-2674.
13) M. BOIANI, A. BASCHIERI, C. CESARI, R. MAZZONI, S. STAGNI, S. ZACCHINI, L. SAMBRI (2012). A new tetraarylcyclopentadienone based low molecular weight gelator: synthesis, self-assembly properties and anion recognition. NEW JOURNAL OF CHEMISTRY, vol. 36, p. 1469-1478.
14) L. BUSETTO, R. MAZZONI, M. SALMI, S. ZACCHINI, V. ZANOTTI (2012). Iron(II) catalyzed dehydrative etherification of alcohols: a convenient route to ferrocenylmethanol-ethers. RSC ADVANCES, vol. 2, p. 6810-6816.
15) R. MAZZONI, M. SALMI, V. ZANOTTI (2012). C-C Bond Formation in Diiron Complexes. CHEMISTRY-A EUROPEAN JOURNAL, vol. 18, p. 10174-10194.
16) L. BUSETTO, D. FABBRI, R. MAZZONI, M. SALMI, C. TORRI, V. ZANOTTI (2011). Application of the Shvo catalyst in homogeneous hydrogenation of bio-oil obtained from pyrolysis of white poplar: new mild upgrading conditions. FUEL, vol. 90, p. 1197-1207.
17) L. BUSETTO, M. C. CASSANI, C. FEMONI, M. MANCINELLI, ANDREA MAZZANTI, RITA MAZZONI, GAVINO SOLINAS (2011). N-Heterocyclic Carbene-Amide Rhodium(I) Complexes: Structures, Dynamics, and Catalysis. ORGANOMETALLICS, vol. 30, p. 5258-5272.
18) M. SALMI, L. BUSETTO, R. MAZZONI, S. ZACCHINI, V. ZANOTTI (2011). New and Selective Routes to Functionalized Biferrocenes and Terferrocenes by [3 + 2] Cycloadditions of Alkynes with Bridging C3 Ligands in Diiron Complexes. ORGANOMETALLICS, vol. 30, p. 1175-1181.
19) L. BUSETTO, F. MARCHETTI, R. MAZZONI, M. SALMI, S. ZACCHINI, V. ZANOTTI (2010). [3+2+1] cycloaddition involving alkynes, CO and bridging vinyliminium ligands in diiron complexes: a dinuclear version of the Doetz reaction?. CHEMICAL COMMUNICATIONS, vol. 46, p. 3327-3329.
20) L. BUSETTO, R. MAZZONI, M. SALMI, S. ZACCHINI, V. ZANOTTI (2010). Ethynylferrocene insertion into Fe-C bond in bridging aminocarbyne diiron complexes: new triiron vinyliminium complexes. JOURNAL OF ORGANOMETALLIC CHEMISTRY, vol. 695, p. 2519-2525.
21) L. BUSETTO, F. MARCHETTI, R. MAZZONI, M. SALMI, S. ZACCHINI, V. ZANOTTI (2009). Bridging vinyliminium- and enaminoalkylidenediiron complexes as organometallic ligands. EUROPEAN JOURNAL OF INORGANIC CHEMISTRY, vol. 2009, p. 1268-1274.
22) L. BUSETTO, F. MARCHETTI, R. MAZZONI, M. SALMI, S. ZACCHINI, V. ZANOTTI (2009). Functionalized ferrocenes from [3+2] cycloadditions in bridging vinylalkylidene diiron comlplexes. ORGANOMETALLICS, vol. 28, p. 3465-3472.
23) L. BUSETTO, M. DIONISIO, F. MARCHETTI, R. MAZZONI, M. SALMI, S. ZACCHINI, V. ZANOTTI (2008). Zwitterionic diiron vinyliminium complexes: Alkylation, metalation and oxidative coupling at the S and Se functionalities. JOURNAL OF ORGANOMETALLIC CHEMISTRY, vol. 693, p. 2383-2391.
24) L. BUSETTO, F. MARCHETTI, R. MAZZONI, M. SALMI, S. ZACCHINI, V. ZANOTTI (2008). SPh functionalized bridging-vinyliminium diiron and diruthenium complexes. JOURNAL OF ORGANOMETALLIC CHEMISTRY, vol. 693, p. 3191-3196.
25) L. BUSETTO, M. C. CASSANI, C. FEMONI, A. MACCHIONI, R. MAZZONI, D. ZUCCACCIA. (2008). Synthesis, molecular structures and solution NMR studies of N-heterocyclic carbene-amine silver complexes. JOURNAL OF ORGANOMETALLIC CHEMISTRY, vol. 693(15), p. 2579-2591.
26) BARBARA BALLARIN, MARIA CRISTINA CASSANI, RITA MAZZONI, ERIKA SCAVETTA, DOMENICA TONELLI (2007). Enzyme electrodes based on Sono-Gel containing ferrocenyl compounds. BIOSENSORS & BIOELECTRONICS, vol. 22 (7), p. 1317-1322.
27) BARBARA BALLARIN, MARIA CRISTINA CASSANI, RITA MAZZONI, ERIKA SCAVETTA, DOMENICA TONELLI (2007). Glucose Biosensor Mediated by 1,2 Diferrocenylethane in a Sono-gel Composite Electrode. ELECTROANALYSIS, vol. 19, p. 200-206.
28) L. BUSETTO, P.L. BULDINI, M.C. CASSANI, R. MAZZONI (2006). Clean and Efficient Synthesis of Air Stable Polymer-Supported Alkoxycarbonylcyclopentadienyl Rhodium(I) Complexes. JOURNAL OF ORGANOMETALLIC CHEMISTRY, vol. 691, p. 573-578.
29) D. ZUCCACCIA, L. BUSETTO, M.C. CASSANI, A. MACCHIONI, R. MAZZONI (2006). PGSE NMR Studies on DAB-Organo-Rhodium Dendrimers: Evaluation of the Molecular Size, Self-Aggregation Tendency and Surface Metal Density. ORGANOMETALLICS, vol. 25, p. 2201-2208.
30) L. BUSETTO, M.C. CASSANI, R. MAZZONI, V.G. ALBANO, P. SABATINO (2005). One-Pot Synthesis of the New Dianionic Ligand [Na]2[C5H4CO2(CH2)2NTs]; Preparation and Structures of Two Rhodium Derivatives. JOURNAL OF ORGANOMETALLIC CHEMISTRY, vol. 690, p. 818-824.
31) L. BUSETTO, M.C. CASSANI, R. MAZZONI, P. FREDIANI, E. RIVALTA (2004). Coordination Chemistry of Ester-Functionalized Cp Ligands. Synthesis and Catalytic Activity of [RhCpCO2(CHPh)2OH(NBD)] and [RhCpCO2(CH2)3OH(NBD)]. JOURNAL OF ORGANOMETALLIC CHEMISTRY, vol. 689, p.2216-2227.
32) L. BUSETTO, M.C. CASSANI, P.W.N.M. VAN LEEUWEN, R. MAZZONI (2004). Synthesis of new poly(propylenimine) dendrimers DAB-dendr-[NH(O)COCH2CH2OC(O)C5H4Rh(NBD)](n) [n=4, 8, 16, 32, 64] functionalized with alkoxycarbonylcyclopentadienyl complexes of rhodium(I). DALTON TRANSACTIONS, vol. 17, p. 2767-2770.
33) L. BUSETTO, M.C. CASSANI, MAZZONI R, P. FREDIANI, E. RIVALTA (2003). Hydroformylation of olefins catalysed by alkoxycarbonylcyclopentadienyl complexes of rhodium(I). JOURNAL OF MOLECULAR CATALYSIS. A: CHEMICAL, vol. 206, p. 153-161.
34) L. BUSETTO, M.C. CASSANI, MAZZONI R, V.G. ALBANO, P. SABATINO, P. FREDIANI, E. RIVALTA (2002). Coordination Chemistry of Ester-Functionalized Cp Ligands. A Versatile Approach to the Chiral Hydroxyalkoxycarbonylcyclopentadienide [C5H4CO2(CHMe)2OH]-. Synthesis, Structure and Catalytic Activity of Rhodium(I) and Iron(II) Complexes. ORGANOMETALLICS, vol. 21, p. 4993-4999.
35) L. BUSETTO, M.C. CASSANI, MAZZONI R (2002). Procedure for the preparation of metal complexes containing hydroxycarbonylcyclopentadienide ligands. EP 1258487A1, UniversitÃƒÆ' degli Studi di Bologna.