Lorenzo Donati was born in Cesena (FC) on November 13th 1974.
Since September 2014 he is Associate Professor, (Sector ING/IND-16
Mechanical Technology and Manufacturing Systems) in the “Department
of Industrial Engineering (DIN) “ in the School of Engineering (Forlì Campus) of Alma Mater Studiorum -University of
- Since 2006 is responsible of the course of Tecnologia Meccanica CI
(Manufacturing Technology I°) and since 2010 of the course
of Tecnologie Speciali e dei Materiali Compositi LM (Advanced
Technologies and Composite Materials Technologies
LM) at School of Engineering (Forlì Campus)
of University of Bologna; he also realizes seminars in the
courses of Manufacturing Technologies at the Bologna Campus of
School of Engineering and Architecture.
- Since 2016 he is responsible of the course Manufacturing Technologies of Composite Materials in the first level Master of UniBo on Composite Materials (Ma.Co.F.).
- Since 2018 he is responsible of the course Processes and Manufacturing Methods for Product Development M at School of Engineering (Bologna Campus) of University of Bologna;
He is discusser of more than 70 diploma and master
thesis in the field of Mechanical, Aerospace and Industrial Engineering.
Participation to Academic Boards and Commissions
- Delegate to Internationalization of the DIN Department(2018-today);
- Member of the PhD Board of Mechanics and Advanced Engineering Sciences DIMSAI-Unibo (2017-today);
- Member of the commission Quality assurance of the course Mechanical Engineering in Forlì (2018-today);
- Delegate to Internationalization of the course Mechanical Engineering in Forlì (2015-today);
- Member of the commission for the Admission to the Master Level of the course Mechanical Engineering in Forlì (2017-today);
- Member of the commission Study Plans of the course Mechanical Engineering in Forlì (2015-2017);
- Member of the Department Board DIN(2013-2014);
- Member of the University Board in Forlì (2010-2012).
Doctoral: From 2004 till 2006 on “FEM analysis of metal flow in
aluminum extrusion dies”
From 2001 till 2004: he got the Ph. D. in the course on
“Engineering of manufacturing systems, of metallurgy and applied
measurements” of the Polytechnic University of Marche (Ancona, IT)
in conjunction with the University of Bologna with a dissertation
on “Seam weld formation during aluminum extrusion: FEM simulation
and experimental verification of the mechanical and aesthetical
- Professional habilitation : 2001
Degree (5 year course): 2001 Mechanical Engineering (Production
planning and Manufacturing systems), Alma Mater Studiorum
–University of Bologna with a dissertation on “FEM simulation of
aluminum extrusion process for die life prediction” in cooperation
with the aluminum extruder “Alluminio S. Marinese” (Serravalle ,
RSM). A summary of the dissertation was published as: L. Donati, L.
Tomesani, “Analysis of material flow and welding in aluminium
extrusion of hollow sections”, Atti del 5° Congresso AITeM (Bari)
Giugno 2001, pagg. 679-688, vol. II. .
- Diploma: 1993, Scientific High School degree, in the Liceo
Scientifico “A. Serpieri” Rimini, IT.
Coordination and participation to research projects
Italian C2, English C1, German A2
International research programs:
National research programs:
- 2016-2018 MAECI funded project: Scientific Coordinator of MULTIDIE project "Multi Material smart extrusion dies with anti-wear bearing and printed cooling channels."
- 2016-2017 H2020-FTIPilot-2015-1: Local unit coordinator of CARBON RIM PROJECT - CARIM "Development and commercialization of a full carbon wheel manufactured with an automated high-volume process for the automotive market."
- 2014 FP7-NMP Participation to THERMACO Project "Smart Thermal conductive Al MMCs by casting";
- 2012-2013: FP7, Clean sky JTI: Pincipal Researcher of the BFCleaner Project "Borate Free Cleaners for Aluminum Alloys"
- 2014-2018: CLUSTER TECNOLOGICI NAZIONALI, Progetto "High Performance Manufacturing", coordinatore locale prof. Luca Tomesani, Coordinatore Nazionale prof. Michele Monno;
- 2016: Regional Funded project: ONDA SOLARE
- 2016: MISE SACIM
- 2009-2011: PRIN EXTRU-CHAIN - Estrusione di profili in lega leggera alto resistente
- 2008-2010: FIRB Ducati Motor "Definizione di una piattaforma integrata per la progettazione di componenti motore di motoveicoli a basso rapporto peso/potenza e ridotto impatto ambientale attraverso metodi di modellazione d'avanguardia e ricerca su nuovi materiali e nuove tecnologie di processo, anche trasferibili ad altre componenti veicolo";
- 2007-2008 responsible of the project “Innovative joining (Friction Stir Welding) of sheets on aluminum extruded profiles “ founded by University of Bologna, young researchers action.
- 2005-2006: “Welding of foamed components by means of laser
techniques” , Local Responsible Giampaolo Campana, National
Responsible Michele Monno, Funding MURST – PRIN
- 2004-2005: “Prediction of seam weld formation during aluminum
profile extrusion” Local Responsible Tomesani Luca, National
Responsible Vincenzo Tagliaferri, Industrial partner: Compes
Academic partners: Università di Roma, Università di Torino,
Università di Padova, Università di Bologna, Funding MURST –
Participation to research contracts funded by
Since 2001 participated and coordinated several research contracts
funded by companies, as: Compes, Poggipolini, Faac, Far, Forgia
Rapida, Mape, Caterpillar, Pandolfo, Sovema.
Some investigated topics:
- Effect of
extrusion die design on final profile quality (aesthetical and
of the manufacturing cycle of an aluminum forged product for the
improvement of microstructure proprieties;
- Evaluation of
the cost effect in the replacement of an aluminum alloy component
with a magnesium one;
profile surface streaks: analysis of the origin and optimization of
the production cycle;
- Developing of
an optimized manufacturing cycle for a Ti6Al4V forged
of the forging sequence of stainless steel
- Design of the
rolling sequence for a lead shaped lamina for automotive
- TU Dortmund,
DE-Dept. IUL (www.iul.eu ) on
analysis and optimization of the extrusion process.
- TU Delft,
NL-Dept. LMP (www.tudelft.nl) on the microstructure evolution
during forming processes and on die life prediction.
University, Bethlehem , PA, USA-Dept. INMATSCI (http://www.lehigh.edu/ ) on
microstructure evolution during aluminum alloy extrusion.
- Italian: University of
Ancona, Padova, Reggio Emilia, Palermo and Cosenza.
Member of Conference Committees and Reviewer for Journals
- ICTP 2011, International Conference on Technology of Plasticity
- ESAFORM, International ESAFORM Conference on Material Forming
- Metal Forming International conference
- ICEB, International Conference on Extrusion and Benchmark
- International Journal of Plasticity, Elsevier IF 4,356 (JCR 2012)
- Materials & Design, Elsevier IF 2,913 (JCR 2012)
- Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, Elsevier IF 2,617 (JCR 2012)
- Journal of Materials Processing Technology, Elsevier IF 1,953 (JCR 2012)
- Tribology Letters, Springer IF 1,743 (JCR 2012)
- Tribology International, Elsevier IF 1,536 (JCR 2012)
- International Journal of Material Forming, Springer IF 0,509 (JCR 2012)
- Advanced Engineering Materials, Wiley IF 1.75 (JCR 2015)
- Engineering Computations, Emerald IF 1,214 (JCR 2012)
- Journal of Manufacturing Science and Engineering, ASME IF 0,786 (JCR 2012)
- Journal of Engineering Tribology, SAGE IF 0,631 (JCR 2012)
- International Journal Of Materials & Product Technology, Inderscience IF 0,324 (JCR 2012)
- Journal of Process Mechanical Engineering, SAGE IF 0,305 (JCR 2012)
Since 2007 he is co-organizer of the bi-annual conference “ICEB-International Conference on Extrusion and Benchmark”, co-organized
with TU Dortmund-IUL Dept. up to 2013 and from 2015 in conjunction with Aluminium 2000 Conference.
Patents and Others
1. 8/2008 (RM2008A438), University
of Bologna, “Assembly of sheets on extruded profiles by means of
the Friction Stir Welding (FSW) technology, design of an innovative
profile shape for material filling” Donati Lorenzo, Troiani Enrico,
Minak Giangiacomo, Morri Alessandro, Ceruti Alessandro.