•Since 2008 Researcher in Inorganic Chemistry at the Department of Chemistry «Giacomo Ciamician», Bologna University
•2017-2018 Chair Elect of Division 3 - Electrochemical Energy Storage and Conversion of The International Society of Electrochemistry
• 2018 Co-founder of the Innovative StartUp Bettery S.r.l. (www.bettery.eu)
•2017 Delegate to “University of Bologna Third Mission” of the Department of Chemistry «Giacomo Ciamician».
•2015-2016 Vice-Chair of Division 3 - Electrochemical Energy Storage and Conversion of The International Society of Electrochemistry
• AAA Researcher UNIBO 2017 Classification.
National Scientific Qualifications
•2018- Inorganic chemistry (03B1- CHIM/03)
•2018 - Principles of Chemistry for Applied Technologies (03B2 - CHIM/07)
•2018 - Physical Chemistry (03A2- CHIM/02)
•2018 - Chemical engineering (09D2)
•2013, 2014, 2018 Inorganic Chemistry (03B1 - CHIM/03)
•2017 - Principles of Chemistry for Applied Technologies (03B2 - CHIM/07)
•2017 – Physical Chemistry (03A2 - CHIM/02)
•2018 - Chemical Engineering (09D2)
Electrochemistry, chemical physical characterization and synthesis of materials (nanostructured and porous carbons, transition metal oxides, electronically conducting polymers, organic electrolytes including room temperature ionic liquids) for energy storage and/or conversions systems (Supercapacitors, Li-ion batteries, Li/O2 batteries, PEMF fuel cells) for transportation, stationary and portable applications (flexible, thin micro-supercapacitors) and for microbial fuel cells for water treatment. Integration of supercapacitors in electronics and energy harvesters for low- and self-powered devices: electrolyte gated transistors/micro-supercapacitor and microbial fuel cells/supercapacitors.
Education and research experience
•1996 Degree in Chemistry (Bologna University, Single cycle degree/Combined Bachelor and Master)
•1997 Chemist National qualification (University of Bologna)
•2002 PhD in Chemical Science with a thesis on “Electrochemistry of materials for energy conversion and storage” (Bologna University).
•2002 Specialization Degree in “Chemical methods of Control and Analysis ” with a thesis on “X-ray diffraction for the analysis of capacity fading of spinel lithium manganese oxide electrodes” (Bologna University).
•1997-2008, Msc, PhD and Postdoc Fellowships and Research Contracts on “Lithium-polymer batteries for transportation” (by Arcotronics Italia S.p.A.), “Polymer materials for supercapacitors” (Bologna University) and on “Electrochemistry of materials for energy conversion and storage”
•September 2013, April 2014, April-May and October 2015 Visiting Senior Researcher at the Advanced Electroactive Materials Laboratory of the Ecole Polytechnique Montreal (Department of Engineering Physics), Canada under the Researcher Mobility Program, Italian-Canadian cooperation agreement and the Canada-Italy Innovation Award .
•April and October 2015 and May 2016 Visiting Senior researcher at the Chemical & Biological Engineering Department, University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, New Mexico.
•2015 Canada-Italy Innovation Award: “TransCapacitor: a new frontier towards self-sustained and low-power electronics” joint project of the University of Bologna (Italy) and the Ecole Polytechnique Montreal (Quebec)
•2015 Springer Poster Prize – GEI 2015 “Giornate dell’elettrochimica Italiana” Poster title “An integrated electrolyte gated-transistor/micro-supercapacitor device” by J. Sayago, C. Santato, F. Cicoira, C. Arbizzani, F. Soavi.
•2016 Shortlisted for the Final "Emerging Technology Competition" of the Royal Society of Chemistry, London
•2016 Winner of UNIBO Launch Pad (University of Bologna) competition, the accelerator program for innovative projects.
•2017 Winner of the Premio Nazionale Innovazione-PNICube – Category Cleantech&Energy.
•2017 Winner of the 2nd Prize of StartCup Emila Romagna
•2017 Winner of the 2nd Prize of Nuove Idee Nuove Imprese – Innovative StartCup contest.
• PI of Research Mobility Project - Executive Bilateral Italy- Quebec Programme 2017-2019
• PI of ISARP Research Project - Executive Bilateral Italy- South Africa Programme 2018-2020
Publications –The scientific activity is acknowledged by publications of 83 peer-review papers on international Journals and Proceedings, 7 Book Chapters (on invitation), one encyclopedic entry, 2 patents, and by more than 130 participations in national and international Conference. h-Index 29 (Scopus).
• F. Soavi, Ionic Liquids for energy storage and/or conversion electrochemical systems, Ecole Polytechnique Montreal, Montreal 23/09/2013.
• F. Soavi, Ionic Liquids-based electrochemical devices, Université du Québec à Montréal, Montreal 08/05/2014
• F. Soavi, Electrochemical Energy Storage/Conversion devices at LEME, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore 22/08/2014.
• F. Soavi, Electrochemical Energy Storage/Conversion devices at LEME , Laboratory of Electrochemistry of Materials for Energetics, University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, New Mexico 23/10/2015.
• F. Soavi, Electrochemical Energy Storage/Conversion devices at LEME, Laboratory of Electrochemistry of Materials for Energetics, Bristol Robotics Lab, Bristol, UK 07/01/2016.
• F. Soavi, Novel sustainable materials and configurations of supercapacitors, IIT Milano, Milano 20/02/2017.
• F. Soavi, C. Arbizzani, Novel Sustainable Materials, Processes and Configurations of Supercapacitors, École polytechnique fédérale de Lausanne, Lausanne, 13/10/2016
• F. Soavi, F. De Giorgio, A. Pastore, A. Brilloni, F. Poli, BETTERY: una Startup Innovativa per le batterie del futuro, Università di Perugia, Perugia, 07/03/2018.
• Since 2015 Referee for the U.S. Dept. of Energy, Office of Basic Energy Sciences (BES), Materials Science and Engineering Division
• Since 2014 Expert evaluator/Rapporteur for the European Commission Research Executive Agency
• 2013 Referee for the Netherlands Organisation for Scientific Research (NWO), Council for Chemical Sciences (CW).
• Referee for the Evaluation of research products and projects on behalf of the Italian Ministry of Education, University and Research and ANVUR (VQR 2004-2010).
•2009 and 2010 Project evaluator for the Energy Storage program of the French National Research Agency, ANR, STOCK-E "Stockage innovant de l'Energie" - "Innovative energy storage" Program.
• Referee of International Journals of Electrochemistry, Materials Science, and Inorganic and Physical Chemistry with IF
• Associate Editor of Materials for Renewable and Sustainable Energy
• Associate Editor of Frontiers in Chemistry
• Guest Editor - Electrochimica Acta - Virtual Special Issue: 68th Annual ISE Meeting", Providence, RI, USA02 Sep - 17 Dec 2017.
Meeting and School Organization
•Member of the Organizing Committee of the National Meeting of the Electrochemistry Division of the Italian Chemical Society, Giornate dell’Elettrochimica Italiana (GEI), 20-24/09/2015, Bertinoro.
•Member of the Organizing Committee of SEC 2015 “Scuola Divisionale di Elettrochimica”, Electrochemistry School of the Electrochemistry Division of the Italian Chemical Society, 16-18/09/2015, Bologna.
•Organizer of the Workshop "Self- and low-power devices", 16/03/2016, Bologna.
•Member of the Organizing Committee of the XII edition of ECHEMS 6-9/6/2017, Milano Marittima.
•Member of the Advisory Board of MacBic, Metal-air Batteries International Congress, 4-8/06/2017, Huesca, Spain
•Member of the Advisory Board of the 5th International Symposium on Enhanced Electrochemical Capacitors, 10–14 July 2017, Jena, Germany
•Organizer (Co-ordinator) of Symposium 7 - “Supercapacitors from Materials and Processes to Applications” of the 68th Annual Meeting of The Electrochemical Society, 27/8 – 1/9/2017, Providence, Rhode Island, USA.
•Organizer of Crystalline Materials for Energy microsymposium of the Conference “Italian Crystal Growth 2017”, Milano 20-21/11/2017.
•Member of the Advisory Board of the next International Workshop on Supercapacitors & Energy Storage, Salerno 31 May- 1 June, 2018.
•Co-organizer of Energy of Division 3, Electrochemical Energy Conversion and Storage Symposia of the next 69 th and 70th Annual Meetings of The Electrochemical Society that will be held on 2-7/9/2018, Bologna and in Durban (South Africa) in 2019.
•Since 2003: Aggregate Professor of Courses of General and Inorganic Chemistry for students of the Faculties of Pharmacy, and of Mathematics, Physics, and Natural Sciences and of Pharmacy, and of Didactic of Chemistry For the Faculty of Science of Education Course at the Pharmacy Faculty of Bologna University.
•Since A.A. 2009/2010 - Co-supervisor of the PhD and 2nd level Degree Theses in Chemical Science on materials and systems for energetics and Supervisor of 2nd level Degree and Specialization Theses on Didactic of Chemistry.
•Since 2015 : Co-Supervisor of PhD Theses on “Electrolyte gated transistors” at Polytechnnique Montréal, Quebec.
•Since 2016: Member of the Tutor Register of the Collegio Superiore dell’Alma Mater Studiorum - Università di Bologna .
• 2016. Member of the examination panel of PhD dissertation at University of the Basque Country, Bilbao, Spain, 18/11/2016.
•Since 2017 Supervisor of Master Degree Theses on Electrochemical Energetics (Engineering School of University of Bologna).
• 2017 Member of the examination panel of the Final Exam of the XXIX PhD Course in Chemical Science, Università degli Studi Milano – Bicocca, Milano, 13/03/2017
• 2017 External examinator of Lorenzo Carbone PhD Thesis “Glyme Electrolytes for the New Generation of Energy storage Devices”, University La Sapienza, Rome.
• 2018. External examinator of PhD dissertation at Politecnico di Torino, Torino.
• A.A. 2017/2018 Co-ordinator of the Course Sustainability: Ambient, Energy and Global Challenges of the Collegio Superiore –Institute of Advanced Study – University of Bologna and teacher of the module “Energy sustainability and high efficiency energy conversion and storage systems: a tecno-economic perspective”.
The UNIBO Third Mission
•2018 Co-founder of the Innovative StartUp Bettery S.r.l.
•2017 Delegate to “University of Bologna Third Mission” of the Department of Chemistry «Giacomo Ciamician».
-A.A. 2012/2013 – 2013/2014 – 2014/2015 Aggregate Professor of Didactic of Chemistry with laboratory of the Specialization course for the Middle School Teacher Qualification (TFA, Tirocinio Formativo attivo and PAS, Percorso Abilitante Speciale, Classe 059), Bologna University.
-A.A 2012/2013 Secretary in the Council board of the Specialization course for the Middle School Teacher Qualification (TFA, Tirocinio Formativo attivo Classe 059), Bologna University.
Membership of Scientific Societies
Member of The Italian Chemical Society and ENERCHEM, of the International Society of Electrochemistry, of The Electrochemical Society and of INSTM (Consorzio Interuniversitario per la Chimica dei Materiali).