Prof. Bianca Maria Piraccini
Curriculum vitae and of studies
Bianca Maria Piraccini
Address: Via di Roncrio, 4 Bologna
Date of birth: 21 November 1964
Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org Telephone 051-2144867
Current position: Associate Professor, Scientific Disciplinary Sector MED / 35, Skin and Venereal Diseases, Department of Experimental, Diagnostic and Specialty Medicine - Division of Dermatology University of Bologna
Education and Training
- 1983 - 1989
- October 24th 1989
- 1989 - 1992
- 1992 - 1995
- December 1991 - February 1992
- June 1993 - August 1993
- May 1995 - July 1995 -5 - 21 December 1995
- 1 November 1999 -18- 25 January 2000
- January 2002 - 2013
Degree in Medicine and Surgery, University of Bologna
Degree in Medicine and Surgery (110 and Lode)
Specialization in Dermatology and Venereology University of Bologna (70 and Lode) PhD in Dermatological Science University of Bologna
Course in Dermatological Histopathology "Dermatopathology Elective "
(Prof. ABA Ackerman) at the New York University Medical Center, New York, USA. Course in Pathology of the oral cavity at the Department ofvDentistry (Prof. JJ Sciubba), Long Island Jewish Medical Center, New York, USA.
Course in Medical Mycology at the Mycology Laboratory at the St. Johns Institute of Dermatology (Prof. RJ Hay), St Thomas's Hospital, London, UK
Course in Medical Mycology at the Mycology Laboratory of the Bristol Health Laboratory of Mycology (Dr. D. Warnock), Bristol, UK
Recruited as Researcher in Dermatology, University of Bologna
Course in Medical Mycology at the Mycology Laboratory of Public Health Laboratory Service (Prof. Evans), University of Leeds, UK
Confirmed role of University Researcher
National Scientific Qualification for II Level in Skin and Venereal Diseases MED /35 ( Returned in 2012 )
Appointed as ASSOCIATED PROFESSOR at the Department of Specialized,
Diagnostic and Experimenta Medicine (DIMES) of the University of Bologna SSD MED / 35 Skin and Venereal Diseases
Prof. Piraccini is Head of the Outpatient consultation of Allergology and Skin Annexes Disease and of the Laboratory of Mycology and Dermatological Parasitology at the Dermatological Clinic of S. Orsola-Malpighi, University Hospital Bologna.
The Skin Annexes Diseases Consultation deals with basic, clinical and instrumental research on nails, hair and scalp and their pathologies. It is the Italian reference center for these diseases and was the first to apply videodermatoscopy to the study of adnexal diseases, sanctioning indications and use of the technique.
Main research fields:
- Biology and hair pathology - Biology and nail pathology
- Medical Mycology
- Dermatological Parasitology
Dermatology courses at:
- Podology course organized by the Emilia Romagna Region in the three-year period: 97-98-99
- Course of University Diploma in Nursing 2000-2001
- Course in University Podiatrists 2000-2001
- Podiatrist University Diploma Course 2001-2002
- Degree Course in Podology from 2002 to nowadays
- Specialty School in Dermatology and Venereology University of Bologna since 2001 - Specialty school in Maxillofacial Surgery University of Bologna 2010-2011
- Specialty School in Endocrinology and Diseases of the University of Bologna since 2015 - Degree course in Medicine and Surgery from 2015/16 to the nowadays
Integrative teaching and student service activities
- Director of the Specialization school in Dermatology University of Bologna since 2019
- Deputy for interntionalization of the Department of Experimental, Diagnostic and Specialty Medicine (DIMES) Alma Mater Studiorum University of Bologna
- Responsible for the Dermatology of Intership Medicine for the students of the fourth year of the Degree Course in Medicine and Surgery since 2012-13
- Responsible for the Erasmus and for in and outgoing students to the EU countries speaking French and English and coming for students from Poland and Sweden.
- Responsible and lecturer of the 3-day Course "Hair and Scalp Training", organized in Bologna by the European Society of Dermatology and Venereology for 25 postgraduates from all over Europe, from 2010 to the nowadays
- ‘Mentor’ for medical students at the Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine (HWCOM) of Florida International University.
- Italian Society of Dermatology and Sexually Transmitted Diseases (SIDeMaST, member of the board of directors)
- European Hair Research Society (EHRS, president)
- European Nail Society (ENS, past-President)
- Council for Nail Disorders (CND, member of the Board)
- American Academy of Dermatology (AAD)
- European Academy of Dermatology and Venereology (EADV)
- North American Hair Research Sociaty (NAHRS)
- Italian Society of Trichology (SITRI)
She edited the Italian edition/version of: Burgdorf WHC, James W, Piraccini B, Ribeiro Cotecchia E (ed.) (2012). THE NETTER COLLECTION of Medical illustrations - 2nd Edition – Integumentary
Awarding of prizes and awards for scientific activity
-1992 "Domenico Majocchi" Study Award conferred by the University of Bologna for the academic year 1988/89 established for a graduate in medicine and surgery for the best degree thesis.
- May 2010: "The Best of the Best" - Top-Accessed Article: White superficial onychomycosis: epidemiological, clinical, and pathological study of 79 patients. Arch Dermatol. 2004; 140 (6): 696- 671. From June 2004 through August 2009, this article was viewed 4434 times on the Archive of Dermatology Web Site.
Current research collaborations:
University of Miami,
Oncology of the University of Bologna,
Endocrinology of the University of Bologna, • Rheumatology.
Prof. Piraccini is the author of 282 Journal articles (of which 248 on PubMed), 45 Chapters of Volumes and 11 monographs on dermatological diseases.
She has participated in and participates in numerous national and international congresses and courses where she is often a speaker.