DATE OF BIRTH: 30 aprile 1962
PLACE OF BIRTH: : Conegliano (Treviso)
PRIVATE TEL +39-3287841870 (MOBILE)
SPEAKING French, English languages
Department of Medical and Surgical Sciences
Alma Mater Studiorum Univeristy of Bologna
Policlinic S. Orsola-Malpighi,
Via Massarenti, 9
40138 – Bologna Italy
Phone office: +39- (051) 2145250 FAX: +39- (051) 636.3080
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org [mailto:email@example.com]
Peer reviewed publications : 169
International Book Chapters: 15
Abstracts: >800 (data not shown)
GOOGLE SCHOLAR (April 30; 2019):
citations: 16.730, H-Index: 57
ISI WEB OF KNOWLEDGE ( April 30 2019):
citations: 8419, H-Index: 48
SCOPUS ( April 30 2019)
Citations 9221, H-Index: 50
According to Via-Academy Dr. Pagotto is included in the list of the top italian scientists (http://www.topitalianscientists.org/top_italian_scientists.aspx )
Actual activity Dr. Pagotto is Head of the Endocrinology Unit in S.Orsola Hospital . The activities of the Endocrinology Unit are related to all endocrinological diseases. The database of the Unit is composed by records of 57000 patients affected by all types of endocrine diseases. An amount of 12000 visits/year are usually perfomed.
Moreover D. Pagotto is leading the Diabetes Unit having more than 28000 records of patients, An estimated number of 9000 visits per year are performed.
Inscription Number Ordine Medici Bologna 16175
RELEVANT EDUCATIONS AND POSITIONS
EDUCATION: College, Liceo Classico C. Marchesi, Conegliano,Italy
1981-1987 University of Padova, Medical School, Padova
November,1987: M.D. (110/110 summa cum laude) Faculty of Medicine, University of Padova, Italy.
March 1991: Boared in Endocrinology (70/70), Faculty of Medicine, University of Padova, Italy.
1983-1987: Intern, University of Padova Medical School, Padova,Italy.
1986: Visiting Student, Division of Pediatric Neuropsychiatry, Department of Pediatrics,
Tampere Hospital, Tampere, Finland.
1987: M.D. title at the University of Padova Medical School, Padova, Italy.
1987-1991: Resident in Endocrinology, University of Padova Medical School, Padova, Italy.
1993-1994: Stipendium at Max-Planck-Institute of Psychiatry, Department of Clinical Chemistry and Endocrinology, Munich sponsored by Max-Planck Society.
1995-1996: Postdoctoral Fellow, at Max-Planck-Institute of Psychiatry, Department of Clinical Chemistry and Endocrinology, Munich.
1996: Ph.D. at the University of Padova, Italy.
1997-October 2000: Postdoctoral Fellow (BAT II A), at Max-Planck-Institute of Psychiatry, Department of Clinical Chemistry and Endocrinology, Munich sponsored by DFG (Deutsche Forschungssgemeinschaft).
November 2000.October 2016: Tenure at the Endocrinology Unit, Dept. of Medical and Surgical Science. Santa
Orsola-Malpighi Hospital, School of Medicine. Alma Mater University of Bologna Italy.
January 2016 Full Professor of Endocrinology at Alma Mater University of Bologna
PRESENT POSITION November 2016: Head of the Endocrinology Unit and of the Diabetes Unit Dept. of Medical and Surgical Science. Sant’Orsola-Malpighi Hospital, School of Medicine. Alma Mater University of Bologna.
- Roma, May 1995: Travel grant 25° Congresso Italiano della Società di Endocrinologia. For the abstract entitled: "Endothelin expression in pituitary adenomas".
- Leipzig, Germany March 1995: Marius Tausk 1995 Award from the German Society of Endocrinology (Deutsche Gesellschaft für Endokrinologie). Best Researcher under 32 for the work: "Endothelin-1: a new growth factor for pituitary adenomas and meningiomas".
- Sorrento, May 1997: Poster prize: 27°Congresso Italiano della Società di Endocrinologia, for the poster entitled: "new gene regulating apoptosis and cell cycle arrest, in mouse pituitary gland and brain".
- Gottingen, Germany, October 1999: Poster prize: 2nd German Congress of Neuroendocrinology and Molecular Endocrinology for the poster entitled: "ZAC: a new candidate for pituitary tumor pathogenesis".
- Munich, Germany, September 2002 Award from the European Neuroendocrine Association (ENEA). Best European Researcher in Basic Sciences
- Prague, Cech Republich April 2010 Senior Author of the abstract for the ESE Young Investigator Award from the European Society of Endocrinology (XII Congress) (Young Investigator: Carmelo Quarta)
- Montesilvano, Italy May 2011 SIE 2011 Prize. Award from the Italian Society of Endocrinology (SIE) to the most distinguished Italian Endocrinologist under 50 years.
- Firenze, Italy April 2012 Senior Author of the abstract for the ESE Young Investigator Award from the European Society of Endocrinology (XIV Congress) (Young Investigator: Carmelo Quarta)
AFFILIATIONS and EDITORIAL ACTIVITIES
He is member of:
- Italian Society of Endocrinology (SIE) member of the Council
- Italian Society of Diabetes (SID)
- Italian Society of Obesity (SIO), previous member of the Council
- European Society of Endocrinology (E.S.E.)
- Member of the European Society of Endocrinology Nominations Committee “-To ensure that there is an adequate range of nominations from the Executive Committee, taking into account the balance geographically, by special interest, by clinical/basic interest, and by gender. -To propose to the Executive Committee objective criteria for the posts of President and to propose suitable candidates for the Executive Committee to nominate (up to two per post) with explanation of how they meet the objective criteria. - To oversee development of nomination forms. - To complete nomination forms for the Executive Committee nominees. - To review all member nominations to ensure compliance with the rules and to report to the Executive Committee”
- Member of the Editorial Board of Acta Diabetologica
- Member of the Editorial Board of Eating and Weight disorders
PARTECIPATION TO PROGRAM ORGANIZING COMMITTEES
- 2009 Athens 12th European Neuroendocrine Association (ENEA)
- 2014 Sofia 22th European Congress of Obesity (ECO)
- 2019 Lyon 21st European Congress of Endocrinology (ECE)
ACTIVITY OF REVIEWER FOR SCIENTIFIC SOCIETIES
2005-2009: Wellcome Trust, UK
2006-2008: Cyber e Retics PROJECTS, Instituto de Salud Carlos III Ministerio de Ciencia y Innovación Spagna
2007: Belgium National Fund
2007: Israel Research National Fund
2007: European Association for Study on Diabetes (EASD)
2009 and 2012: Diabetes UK
2009 and 2013: Research Grants Council, Hong Kong, China
2011: Instituto de Salud Carlos III Ministerio de Ciencia e Innovación Spagna CAIBER
2013: Hungarian Scientific Research Fund (OTKA)
2015: ERC Advanced Grant 2015, Netherlands Organisation for Scientific Research (NWO)
2018: Swiss National Science Foundation
RECIPIENT OF GRANTS
2001-2002: “The role of ZAC (Zinc finger protein inducing apoptosis and cell cycle arrest) in the pathogenesis of pituitary adenomas” (PA 64771-1) sponsored by Deutsche ForschungsGemeinschaft.
2001-2002: “Gene expression profile in animal models of obesity with different fat distribution” sponsored by Eli Lilly Foundation International, USA (together with Dr. M.Paez-Pereda).
2003-2008: European Community Sixth Framework Programmes
Integrated project named “Diabesity” approved for funding by the European Community in the first call of European Framework 6. “Integrated Project: Identification of new drug targets for obesity and type 2 diabetes. Diabesity” nel quadro del Call EOI.FP6.2002
2008-2011: European Community Seventh Framework Programmes
Call: “HEALTH-2007-2.4.3-6: Nutritional signals and the development of new diabetes/obesity therapeutic agents. This project will focus on the effects of alternative compounds which improve carbohydrate/lipid metabolism or modify body weight, and could be used in the development of new therapeutics in the treatment of hyperglycemia and hyperlipidemia. Funding scheme: Collaborative project. (Small or medium-scale focused research projects targeted to SMEs with maximum EC contribution of € 6,000,000/project)” Project entitled “Search For New Therapeutic Agents Against Complicated Obesity By Reprofiling Existing Drugs Proposal acronym: REPROBESITY”
2009-2014: European Community Seventh Framework Programmes KBBE-20092-2-01: Stress, addiction and eating. Collaborative Project, Large Scale Integrating project. Project entitled: “The integrated neurobiology of food intake, addiction and stress. Acronimo: NEUROFAST”.
PARTICIPATION TO CLINICAL TRIALS
I was Involved as a Principal Investigator or Partcipants in several clinical trials according to ICH-GCP as:
- ACT 6355 (universal PPAR, phase II)
- Crescendo (CB1 antagonist, phase III)
- Adagio (CB1 antagonist, phase III)
- Claf 237a (DPPIV inhibitor, phase III)
- Record (PPARgamma, phase III)
- Rio-Lipids (CB1 antagonist, phase III)
- HypoCCS (GH)
- Lixisenatide (AVE 0010, GLP-1 analog, phase III)
- STEP-5 (NN9536-4378, GLP-1 analog phase III)
- SELECT (EX-9536-4388, GLP-1 agonist phase III)
PRESENT ACTIVITIES WITH THE COMPANIES
- Consulting fee from Bayer
- Member of Italian National Obesity Advisory Board, Novo Nordisk
- Speaker honoraria from Shire, Novo Nordisk, Astra-Zeneca
Patent n. 300059223 approved the April 24, 2012 Number PCT PCT/ES2012/070276. The patent has been presented to the Oficina Receptora Oficina Española de Patentes y Marcas, Madrid and Ministerio de Industria, Turismo y Comercio (Spagna). The patent is entitled: "TERAPIA COMBINADA PARA EL TRATAMIENTO DE ENFERMEDADES METABÓLICAS". The patent has been generated in the frame of the researches performed within REPROBESITY Project (7th European Framework)
CONTRIBUTIONS TO INTERNATIONAL MEETINGS
- Venezia Invited lecture 15th International Symposium on Drugs Affecting Lipid Metabolism
- Portofino Italia speaker 5th International Symposium on Growth Hormone Secretagogues
- Cancun Plenary Lecture at the 16th Scientific Meeting InterAmerican Society of Hypertension (IASH)
- Madrid Plenary lecture 47th Congreso de la Sociedad Espanola De Endocrinologia y Nutriciòn
- Bristol Plenary Lecture Congress of English Society of Physiology
- Stockolm Invited speaker Life Science Conference
- Napoli Invited speaker 14th EFES Postgraduate Course in Clinical Endocrinology
- Kyoto Plenary Lecture II Congress "Diabetes at limit"
- Athens Plenary Lecture PCOS International Congress
- Bruxelles Invited speaker 6th UPDATE BASO (Belgium Association Study on Obesity)
- Glasgow Invited speaker 8th European Congress of Endocrinology (ECE)
- Boston Invited speaker 88th Annual Meeting of the Endocrine Society (ENDO Society)
- Washington Invited speaker 66th Session of the American Diabetes Association (ADA)
- Berlin Invited speaker 1st World Congress on Controversies in obesity, diabetes and hypertension (CODHY)
- Turku Plenary lecture Finnish Diabetes Research Society
- Orlando Invited speaker VBWG National Faculty Meeting Contemporary Management of Cardiometabolic Risk
- Helsinky Invited speaker ESPE Working group on Obesity 46th European Society for Pediatric Endocrinology
- Helsinky Plenary lecture 46th European Society for Pediatric Endocrinology (ESPE)
- Santiago Cile Plenary Lecture IX Congreso Internacional de Obesidad
- Les Diablerets Plenary lecture Gordon Research Conferences "Cannabinoid function in the CNS"
- Barcelona Plenary Lecture Catalan Society Endocrinology meeting
- Baveno Italia Invited speaker 5° Ferring Pharmaceuticals International Paediatric Symposium
- Roma Invited speaker 7° Congress European Federation of Internal Medicine
- Quebec City Invited speaker 6° Bi-Annual Meeting of the International Chair on Cardiometabolic Risk
- Santiago de Compostela Invited speaker Congress "Diagnosing and treating diabesity"
- Antalya, Turchia Invited speaker 13th Meeting of the European Neuroendocrine Association (ENEA)
- Barcelona Invited speaker 2nd World Congress on Controversies to Consensus in Diabetes, Obesity and Hypertension (CODHy)
- Rio de Janeiro Invited speaker 13th International Congress of Endocrinology
- Athens Plenary Lecture 1° Pan-Hellenic Congress of Gynecological Endocrinology
- Montreal Invited speaker 20th World Congress of Diabetes (IDF)
- Rouen Invited speaker 7th International Congress of Neuroendocrinology (ICN)
- Amsterdam Invited speaker 23° Congress European College of NeuroPsychopharmacology (ECNP)
- Tokyo Plenary lecture 6th Forum on growth hormone Research 2010
- Rotterdam Speaker at the Meet the Expert 13th European Congress of Endocrinology
- Munich Speaker at the 4° Testosterone conference
- Bologna Invited lecture at the 4th European Congress on Narcolepsy concomitant to the 3rd European Narcolepsy Day
- Lyon Invited speaker at the 19th European Congress on Obesity (ECO)
- Belgrad 3° Serbian Congress of Endocrinology Lecture “Future trends in obesity therapy”.
- Parma Menarini Foundation sSymposium #247 “Obesity and its metabolic and digestive consequences” Lecture: “Endocrine function in obesity”.
- Wroclaw 16th European Congress of Endocrinology (ECE 2014) Lecture: “PCOS and OBESITY: Unveiling the basic links”.
- Boston 16th International Congress of Endocrinology/98th Endocrine Society Congress (ICE/ENDO) Presentation of “Pharmacological Management of Obesity: An Endocrine Society Clinical Practice Guideline”.
- Sofia 16° Congress of European Neuroendocrine Association (ENEA 2014) Plenary Lecture: “Neuroendocrine control of appetite by gut hormones: a critical view”.
- Vienna 50th Annual Meeting of the European Association for the study of Diabetes (EASD 2014) Lecture: “Neuroendocrine actors connecting homeostatic and hedonic control of food intake”.
- Zlatibor Serbia 5th Serbian Congress of Endocrinology Plenary lecture: “Obesity and PCOS”.
- El Escorial – Madrid VI Symposium CIBER Fisiopatologia de la Obesidad y Nutricion Lecture: “Food addiction exists: real or fake?”.
- Torino Endocrinology and Turin: Passion is here! Past, present and future around a dreamer. Plenary lecture: “Addicted to food?”.
- Prague 22nd European Congress of Obesity (ECO 2015) Lecture: “Brain imaging and phenotyping”.
- Malaga 12th Congreso Nacional Sociedad Española para el Estudio de la Obesidad (SEEDO) Lecture: “Addiciones, cerebro y psicobesidad
- Munich 18th European Congress of Endocrinology (ECE 2016) Lecture: ”Are we ready for pharmacological therapy of obesity? Against”
- Goteborg European Obesity Summit Lecture: “ How do you manage weight re-gain and comorbidities after surgery?”
- Mantova 6th Mantua WORKSHOP on DIABETES MELLITUS and Related Disorders Lecture : “Brain imaging and control of food intake”
- Cordoba Congress : New Frontiers in Obesity Research: Lecture“Does food addiction exists? implication in treating obesity”
- Cesena 5th International Conference on Foodomics ICF2018:from Data to Knowledge Lecture: Molecular basis of food addiction
- Noordwijkerhout (Holland) The Dutch Endocrine Meeting 2018 Lecture: Pharmacological management of obesity
The interests of Dr. Pagotto, at the beginning of the career, focused on basic investigation involving the pituitary tumorigenesis. These have included studies on the role of endothelin 1 in the formation and progression not only of pituitary adenomas but also of meningiomas. The identification of endothelin 1 as potent growth factor for meningiomas paved the way to an explorative trial in humans by a Pharma Company. The studies on pituitary tumorigenesis continued by exploring the role of a new transcription factor, ZAC1, in the pathological processes leading to a formation of a pituitary tumor. After having explored the role of other putative modulators of pituitary function and growth as endocannabinoids, Dr. Pagotto decided to study, in view of his arrival in Italy under the direction of Prof. Pasquali world expert in obesity, whether the endocannabinoids may play a role in the development and maintenance of obesity.
His research has led directly to deeply modify the vision about the endcannabinoids as players in obesity. He was the first to indicate that the putative anti-obesity action of CB1 antagonists was not only related to cerebral targets but also to peripheral ones as adipocytes and skeletal muscles. These findings contributed to completely change the vision and the market allocation of the novel class of drug as the CB1 antagonists. He is still working in collaboration with foreign scientific Centres and Pharmaceutical Companies to generate peripherally restricted CB1 antagonists to avoid the well known side effects that featured this class of drugs. His actual area of research is also the hormonal determinants of appetite and body weight including endocannabinoids, steroids and ghrelin. The work in humans is consisting on the characterization of the patients affected by obesity. Moreover, at the Endocrinology Unit he is taking care the ambulances for patients affected by neuroendocrinological diseases (800 patients) and by obesity (1000 patients). He is following for the endocrinological and metabolic related problems the narcoleptic patients in collaboration with Dr. Giuseppe Plazzi. In the context of obesity, the running project financed to Dr. Pagotto by the European Community (NEUROFAST) is aimed at determining the possibility to identify by hormonal, psychological and metabolic characterization associated to cerebral PET analysis the condition of food addiction in a subgroup of obese patients. The research group of Dr. Pagotto is nicely equipped for detailed phenotypic analysis of patients (body composition by DEXA, physical activity monitored by portable Actiheart, psychologist group, dietician group), for measurement of hormones, endocannabinoids, gut peptides, neuropeptides as orexin-1 by HPLC and API Q-TRAP 4000 techniques. He developed in house normal range values for nine steroids measured by mass spectrometry and endocannabinoids. He applied this method to measure circulating steroids in patients carrying PCOS, adrenal incidentalomas and/or obesity.
Teacher of Endocrinology and Metabolism at the School of Medicine and Surgery. Course of Mediacal Biotechnology (Laurea Magistrale)
Teacher of Endocrinology and Metabolism at the School of Medicine and Surgery. Course of Mediacal Biotechnology (Laurea Magistrale)
Director of the School of Specialization in Endocrinology and Metabolism of Alma Mater University of Bologna