Maria Luisa Genova (URL: http://www.researcherid.com/rid/H-6921-2012
STUDIES AND APPOINTMENTS
1990: BSc/MSc Degree in Biology, University of Bologna (Italy), summa cum laude.
1993 and 1996: Research fellow in Biochemistry & Cell Biology at Rice University, Houston, TX, USA. (3 four-month periods)
1995: Ph.D. Degree in Biology and Cell Physiology, University of Bologna, Italy.
1995-2005: Post-doctoral fellow, Dept. of Biochemistry, Univ. of Bologna, Italy.
2005-present: Tenured Assistant Professor of Biochemistry, University of Bologna (Italy), Dept. of Biomedical and Neuromotor Sciences (DIBINEM)
2014: National Scientific Qualification by the Italian Ministry of Education (ASN-MIUR) to function as Associate Professor of Biochemistry in Italian Universities
2014: National Scientific Qualification by the Italian Ministry of Education (ASN-MIUR) to function as Full Professor of Biochemistry in Italian Universities
2020-present: Appointed representative of the Dept. of Biomedical and Neuromotor Science in the Academic Community of Practice for TICKET-Transnational Intercultural Competence through Knowledge Exchange and Training (EU-funded KA203 project for Strategic Partnerships in the Field of Higher Education)
2020: Visiting Professor, Dept. of Biology – Eberly College of Science, Pennsylvania State University (USA). Professional learning experience: RESURG-Lab, Reproductive Endocrinology Surgery Laboratory for medical students (February 24th-March 2nd)
2017: Visiting Professor, Dept. of Biochemistry, University of Wisconsin-Madison (USA). Professional learning experience: Teaching tools for biochemistry educators of English-speaking students in the medical school (April 27th-May 6th, BCSP-Study Abroad Program)
2016-present: Academic Referee, Erasmus+ International Credit Mobility (ICM) inter-institutional agreement for PhD students and staff from/to the Università di Bologna (Italy) and the Universidad de Granada (Spain). Cooperation subject area: 091-Health.
2016-present: Substitute representative, Management Committee of the COST-European Cooperation in Science and Technology Action n.15203 [link]
2015-present: Council Member, Executive Committee of the International Coenzyme Q10 Association [www.icqa.org]
2014: Invited Lecturer, “Next Generation Leaders in Biology of Ageing" EU-sponsored Intensive Programme for International Master and PhD students (Rimini, IT, June 4-12). [link].
MEETINGS AS ORGANIZER
. Excellence in Learning and Teaching Biochemistry - a FEBS Educational Workshop (Roma, IT, September 16-17, 2019) [link]
. The 8th Conference of the International Coenzyme Q10 Association (Bologna, IT, October 8-11, 2015) [link]
· The 8th International Forum on Oxidative Stress and Aging (Bologna,
IT, June 12-14, 2013) [link]
2005-present: Assistant professor in Biochemistry at the School of Medicine of the University of
Bologna. Courses of: 'Biochemistry' for students in the
Medical College of Podology; 'Metabolic and Molecular
Biochemistry' for students in the School of Medicine; 'Cell Signaling' for students in the School of Medicine (caurse fully taught in English).
2008-present: Appointed examiner and thesis reviewer of PhD candidates [PhD degree of: Biochemistry, Univ. Roma-Sapienza (IT); Applied Biocatalysis and Industrial Microbiology, Univ. Bologna (IT); Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Univ. Bari (IT)]
ADVISING AND MENTORING
- Assistant supervisor of several PhD students, Post-doctoral
fellows and visiting fellows in the Dept. of Biochemistry, Univ.
of Bologna, Italy
- Appointed supervisor of:
1. Dr. M.E. Dalmonte (2010-2014: Post-doctoral fellow, Dept. of Biochemistry, University of Bologna, IT);
2. Dr. Muge Kopuz (2011-2013: visiting PhD student, Karadeniz Technical University of Trabzon, TÜRKIYE);
3. Dr. Yelda Birinci (2011-2013: visiting PhD student, Karadeniz Technical University of Trabzon, TÜRKIYE);
4. Dr. Jerónimo Aragón Vela (03/2015-06/2015: visiting PhD student, University of Granada, SPAIN);
5. Elisa Gazzelli (2012-2013: undergraduate student, School of Biological Sciences, University of Bologna, IT);
6. Gaia Tioli (2013-2014: undergraduate student, School of Biological Sciences, University of Bologna, IT; 2014-2018: postgraduate student, Dept. Biomedical and Neuromotor Sciences, University of Bologna, IT; 2018-present: Ph.D. student, co-supervised with J. Garaude, Univ. Bordeaux, FRANCE [link]);
7. Eugenia Andrian (2015-2016: undergraduate student, School of Biological Sciences, University of Bologna, IT).
8. Margherita De Luca (2018-2019): undergraduate student, School of Biological Sciences, University of Bologna, IT).
Maria Luisa Genova is technically competent in advanced biochemical methods for the analysis of the mitochondrial respiratory enzymes and substrates (including spectrophotometric, fluorometric and polarographic measurements, 2D BN/SDS Polyacrylamide Gel Electrophoresis, HPLC). Her research focuses on the bioenergetic role of mitochondria, with particular emphasis on the kinetic properties of the respiratory chain, the dynamics of assembly of the supramolecular aggregates comprising respiratory complexes (supercomplexes) and the functional role of Coenzyme Q (ubiquinone). She is the author of more than 40 research publications and of some invited reviews in peer reviewed journals on the subject of mitochondrial bioenergetics in physio-pathological conditions and in ageing; invited speaker and member of the organizing committee in international conferences.