Franco Vazza, born in Vittorio Veneto (Italy) on 19/09/1979
Present Position Tenure-track researcher (RTdB) at the University of Bologna
- Master degree in Astronomy from the University of Padova (22/07/2004)
- PhD in Astronomy from the University of Bologna (07/04/2009)
- Habilitation to “Maître de Conference” in France (2013)
- National Scientific Habilitaion (ASN) for University teaching in Italy (2017-2023)
2014:“Borgia” prize from Accademia dei Lincei (awarded every 4 years and worth of 10,000 Euro), given at the presence of the Italian President of the Republic, as “best Italian young astronomer”.
- 2017: grant for the recruiting of one PhD Student from the German Ministry of Research (DFG). The grant covers a PhD project at the University of Hamburg, including funds for travels and collaborations (~200,000 Euro).
- 2016: Starting Grant from the European Research Council (ERC), for “MAGCOW: The Magnetised Cosmic Web” project (714196). The project will start on 1st Sept.2017, with the University of Bologna as Main Host Institution and the Hamburg University as additional beneficiary. (1,459,000 Euro).
- 2016: 3yr sesearch fellowship Astrofit2 from INAF and the Research Executive Agency (REA), for the Grant Agreement n. 664931, at the Radio Astronomy Institute in Bologna (Italy) (157,000 Euro). [resigned after 10 months to start present contract.]
- 2016: personal grant for a project on Cosmic Magnetism from the German Ministry of Research (DFG).The grant covers 3 years of independent research (originally during 2016-2019, I resigned from 31st Oct. 2016) and assign funds for the own PI positions and missions abroad (220,000 Euro).
- 2014: grant for the recruiting of one PhD Student from the German Ministry of Research (DFG). The grant covers a PhD project at the University of Hamburg, including funds for travels and collaborations (189, 000 Euro).
- 2010: winner of a mobility grant “Taux3” from the Scientifc Bureau of the French Embassy in Italy (6 months), for Post-Doctoral work (declined).
- 2008: winner of a PhD mobility grant “Marco Polo” from the University of Bologna
- 2006: winner of grant for the entire duration of the PhD, from INAF.
Publications: 68 referred journal articles (28 as PI), >2200 citations, h-index 25.
Updated list on ADS
Invited talks at international conferences: 15
Teaching: Physics II for Engineers (60h teaching + exams) 2017-2018; 2018-2019
Introduction to Cosmology for Astronomers (12h) 2018-2019
I am an internationally recognized expert on the physics of large-scales structures, including shocks, turbulence, cosmic ray acceleration and non-thermal radiation processes. I am the PI of large supercomputing projects, and I have realised the largest simulations of extragalactic magnetic fields. I am collaborating with all most important future radio surveys (with LOFAR, ASKAP, MEERKAT and SKA). I am undertaking the challenge of understanding the origin of cosmic magnetism, also with my ERC-founded Starting Grant (2017-2022).