CV of prof. Carlo Alberto Nucci
Updated May 2020
Biographical notes and career
Born in Bologna, October 21, 1956. Degree in Electrical Engineering in 1981 with honors and ‘Luigi Donati' award. Researcher (Assistant professor) in 1983, associate professor in 1992, full professor in 2000.
At the Faculty (now School) of Engineering of the University of Bologna:
- Power Stations (MS) from 1990 to 1999,
- Fundamentals of Power Systems (BS) from 2001 to 2005;
- Electrical Power Systems (MS) from 1998 to 2015;
- Elements of electrical systems and safety (for Civil Engineering students) from the 2007 to the 2014
- Electrical power system e smart grids (MS) year 16
- Electrical Plants (BS) from 2016 to date,
- Electrical Power Systems (for Advanced Design students from 2017 to date).
- Electrical Power Systems and Smart Grids (MS) from 2018 to date
At some Post Grade Courses (Masters) of the University of Bologna:
- "Innovation of the maintenance and management of urban and real estate assets", in 2003;
- "Forecast, prevention and control of industrial risk" in 2004;
- "ENI Corporate Master: Plant Design for the Development of Offshore Oil Fields" in 2007;
- "ENI Corporate Master: design of oil & gas plants" in 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015;
- "Electrical Hazard" SAIPEM master in 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014;
- "Safety and prevention in the workplace" Unibo Master in the years 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019,2020.
At the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, Lausanne, EPFL:
- Instructor at several Post-Grade EES-UETP (Electric Energy Systems –University Enterprise Training Partnership) courses.
- Faculty member of the Post grade course “Génie Electrique” in the years 2001, 2002 and 2003
- Docent of module “Distributed Generation from Renewables” in 2013
In the European association EES-UETP:
- Organizer and instructor of various postgraduate courses
- Program Committee chairman from 2002 to 2007
Head of the Power Systems Laboratory at the Department of Electrical Engineering of the Faculty of Engineering of Bologna since 1994.
Main research topics:
- Dynamics of electric power plants and of power systems, with particular reference to power system restoration after blackouts and to the influence of load modelling on voltage collapse simulations;
- Electromagnetic transients of power systems, with particular reference to lightning originated ones;
- Smart Grids and Distribution networks operation in presence of small scale generating plants;
- Fault location in distribution networks;
- Phasor Measurement Units (PMUs);
- Waste treatment based on Joule-effect in-situ vitrification,
- Smart Cities and Local Energy Communities.
Author or co-author of over 370 scientific papers published on peer reviewed journals or on proceedings of international conferences, of a number of book chapters edited by by IEE, Kluwer, Rumenian Academy of Science and WIT press, and of a couple of IEEE Standards and some CIGRE technical brochures. h-index (Scopus) = 39.
Keynote, plenary speaker, invited lecturer
Invited Keynote plenary speaker and lecturer at international conferences (SIPDA 1997 - Sao Paulo, Brazil; ISH '01 –Bangalore, India; ICHQP'06 – Lisbon, Portugal; PSCC 2008 – Glasgow, UK; IPST'09 - Kyoto, Japan; APECM'10 - Beijing, China; ISGT 20, IWEC'11 - Kyoto; IEEE International Forum Smart Grids for Smart Cities – Paris, 2016; RTSI'18-Palermo; MedPower '18 - Dubrovnink; , SynEnergy Med '19 - Cagliari; PowerTech'19 - Milan) and at foreign universities (Polytechnic of Lausanne, University of Arizona, 'Bangalore Institute of Science', University of Sao Paulo, Polytechnic of Lisbon, Polytechnic University of Bucharest, Doshisa University of Kyoto, University of Seville, 'Seoul National University', University of Budapest, Illinois Institute of Technology, Tsinghua University of Beijing, Shandong University in Jinan, University of Ljubljana).
Responsible of several research projects financed by the Italian Ministry of Research and by the Italian Science Foundation (C.N.R.), by European Commission and of several research contracts financed by Italian and foreign companies and universities regarding restoration processes after blackouts, lightning interaction with power distribution systems, lightning protection of wind turbines, EMC in power systems, management of distribution networks with high penetration of distributed resources and methods/devices for accomplishing fault location in distribution networks, Phasor Measurement Units, State Estimation of power distribution networks, Local Energy Communities.
International services and functions
Within CIGRE (International council on large electric systems):
Member of several working groups, such as CIGRE WG C4.401 'Lightning' (of which has been convener) from 1997 to 2007; CIGRE WG C4.107 'Power quality indices and objectives'; Joint CIGRE/CIRED WG on 'Protection of distribution networks against lightning'; serving as Chairman of CIGRE Study Committee C4 “System Technical Performance” for the period 2006-2012.
Member of Working Groups “Lightning performance of distribution lines” and “Distributed Resources: Modelling and Analysis”, Chairman of the International Steering Committee of the International Conference IEEE PowerTech from 2002 to 2007, Chairman of the Italian PES Chapter from 2002 to 2007, Region 8 Representative per la “IEEE PES Region 8 (Europe, Middle East and Africa)” and member of IEEE PES Governing Board in 2009 and 2010; Member of IEEE Smart City Steering Committee for PES in the years 2012-2014; Chair, IEEE/PES Region 8 Scholarship Plus Committee since 2014.
Chairman of the ”EES-UETP Program Committee” in the period 2002-2007.
At the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, Lausanne, EPFL:
Member of the Energy board of the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, Lausanne, from 2007 to 2012.
Professor Nucci has served as Panel member (Systems and Communication Engineering) for the ERC Advanced Grants Call 2015 and 2017 evaluations.
He is serving as representative for University of Bologna, with voting rights, of EERA AISBL.
Other Services and functions in National Institutions
Services and functions at the University of Bologna:
- Responsible for the Logistics (1995-1999) Committee
- Member of Finance Committee (2002-2006) at the Faculty of Engineering.
- Member of the Research Observatory of the University of Bologna in the period 2004-2010.
- Deputy Dean of the Faculty of Engineering from 2008 up to 2012.
- Coordinator of the BS and MS programs in Electrical Engineering from 2012 to 2018.
- Coordinator of the Thematic Group “Energy” of the University of Bologna since 2017.
- Selected by the University as a member of the Technical Scientific Committee PER (Regional Energy Plan)
Other National services and functions:
- Member of the Group of Experts in evaluation (GEV) for the Italian national research assessment 2011-2014 (VQR 2011-2014).
- President of the national association of University professors of electric power systems in the three years 2013, 2014, 2015.
- President of the Bologna AEIT Section from May 2016 to January 2019.
- President of the National Technical Committee CT 81 “Lightning protection”.
- Editor in Chief of of Electric Power Research Journal (EPSR), Elsevier since January 2010.
- (Previously Regional Editor for Europe, Africa and Mid East since January 2005 of the same journal)
- Guest editor of some Special issues published on IEEE Trans. on EMC, J. of Electrostatics ed EPSR journal (Special Issue of the IEEE Trans. on Electromagnetic Compatibility dedicated to ‘Lightning', Vol.40, No.4, November, 1998 - with F. Canavero, M. D'Amore and C. Mazzetti;
- Special Issue of the Journal of Electrostatics dedicated to best selected papers presented at the International Conference on Lightning Protection, 2002, with V. Cooray and F. Rachidi;
- Special issue of the Electric Power Systems Research dedicated to the best papers presented at the International Conference on Power Systems Transients, 2003, with A. Ametani and D. Mader;
- Special issue of the Electric Power Systems Research dedicated to the best papers presented at the International Conference on Power Systems Transients, 2005, with J. Mahseredjian, S. Pack and L. Prikler.).
- Lead Guest Editor of the Special issue on Smart Cities, with G. Beits and C. Cassandras, Proceedings of the IEEE, 2018.
- Member of the Editorial Board of the Journal of Electric Power and Energy Sources (JEPES), Elsevier.
Awards and Recognitions
- Best paper award, “CIGRE- IFAC International Symposium on Control of Power Plants and Power Systems”, Brussels, 2000 for the paper “The black-startup simulation of a repowered thermoelectric unit”, in cooperation with A. Borghetti, G. Migliavacca and S. Spelta
- Cigre Technical Committe Award, 2004
- IEEE ed IET Fellowship, 2007
- Best paper award, “Analysis of black-startup and islanding capabilities of a combined cycle power plant” in cooperation with A. Borghetti, M. Bosetti, M. Paolone, G. Ciappi, and A. Solari, 43rd Int. Universities Power Engineering Conference (UPEC), Padua, Sept. 1-4, 2008
- Laurea Honoris Causa from University Politehnica of Bucharest, 2008
- Member of the Academy of Science of the Institute of Bologna, 2011
- ‘Golde Award' from the International Conference on Lightning Protection, 2012
- CIGRE Fellowship, 2016
- Member ‘Benedettino’ (highst rank) of the Academy of Science of the Institute of Bologna, 2017.