Curriculum Vitae ALESSIA CARIANI
-January 2006-December 2008: Ph.D. in Environmental Sciences, University of Bologna. Project: “Development and use of DNA Microarray platforms for gut content analysis and microbial pathogen identification”. Excellent grade. Public defence on the 19/06/2009
-October 2002-February 2005: Master Science degree in Marine Environmental Science and Oceanography 110/110 cum laude, University of Bologna. Thesis: “Molecular biotechnology for the study and management of marine ecosystems: development of a DNA microchip for the identification of marine organisms”. Public defence on the 16/02/2005
-October 1998-September 2002: Bachelor degree in Environmental Science 110/110 cum laude, University of Bologna. Thesis: “Application of molecular tool for the sustainable management of the shared stocks of Sepia officinalis in Adriatic sea”. Public defence on the 30/09/2002
RESEARCH FELLOWSHIP AND HONOURS:
-October 2016-to date: Fixed-term Researcher, University of Bologna: “Fishery genetics and genomics: population structure and conservation genetics of marine fish and technological tools for the traceability and valorization of fish products” (36 months).
-October 2013- September 2016: Fixed-term Researcher, University of Bologna: “Population genomics of marine fish and traceability of fish products” (36 months).
-January 2013-September 2013: Research fellowship from the CoNISMa Consortium: “Analysis of population structure in marine fish and crustaceans” in the framework of the RITMare project SP2_WP1_AZ4 Identification of stock boundaries of the main commercial species in the survey areas.
-January 2012-December 2012: Post doctoral research fellowship, University of Bologna: “Genetic analysis and traceability of Atlantic Bluefin tuna using novel genomics tools”, funded by the ICCAT-GBYP 06/2011 project “Short term contract for the biological and genetic sampling and analysis of Atlantic Bluefin Tuna”.
-March 2010-May 2011: Joint Post doctoral research fellowship, University of Bologna- Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Laboratory of Biodiversity and Evolutionary Genomics, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Leuven, Belgium.
-January 2009-December 2011: Post doctoral research fellowship, University of Bologna: “Spatial and temporal pattern analysis of genetic variability in Solea vulgaris population in the Mediterranean”, funded by EU-FP7 project “FishPopTrace: the Structure of Fish Populations and Traceability of Fish and Fish Products” https://fishpoptrace.jrc.ec.europa.eu/home .
- March 2007 - August 2008: Exchanged Mobility Researcher at Centre of Applied Gene Sensor Technology (CAG), Bremen University, Bremen, Germany. Research project: “Implementation of DNA microchips for the identification of marine invertebrates in gut content of demersal fishes”.
-September 2007: Student scholarship award, Department of Experimental Evolutionary Biology, University of Bologna.
-June 2005: National award “Giulio Natta” for best Master thesis on “Biotechnology applied to environmental safeguard” given by Italian Ministry for Economical Development (see UIBM link and UNIBO magazine)
-March-September 2005: Research fellowship Spinner Consortium. Start-up study for high tech company. Project FISHBIOTEC (prot 115/04): Food quality and traceability certification through molecular tools.
-October 2004: Award for worthy Environmental Science student, Soroptimist Club Ravenna, Italy.
-September- December 2004: Scholarship for visiting student, University of Bologna, at Centre of Applied Gene Sensor Technology (CAG), Bremen University. Research project: “Development of a DNA microchip for the identification of flat fishes”.
-October 2002- July 2003: Socrates-Erasmus grant, session year at Cadiz University, Cadiz, Spain
- 21-27 April 2018, ELIXIR-IIB Practical Course “Population Genomics: background and tools [https://elixir-iib-training.github.io/website/2018/04/21/PopGen-Napoli.html] ” Napoli, Italy
- 11 - 17 February 2018, B@G Winter School 2018: “Bioinformatics for adaptation genomics [http://www.adaptation.ethz.ch/education/bag-winter-school-2018.html] ” Weggis, Switzerland
- 16-18 October 2017 Workshop SIBM “Condroitti pescati durante le campagne scientifiche. Dalle controversie tassonomiche alla metodologia di valutazione della consistenza degli stocks”, Mazara del Vallo, Italy
- 16-18 December 2016 Workshop SIBE 2016 “Inferring Natural Selection using Genomic Data”, Ferrara, Italy.
-1-3 October 2012 Workshop on “Next Generation Sequencing Technologies & Informatics tools for studying Marine Biodiversity & Adaptation” Hellenic Centre for Marine Research (HCMR), Crete, Greece.
-17-21 September 2012 Summer School in Genomics and Bioinformatics “Next generation sequencing for population and medical genomics” Universitat Pompeu Fabra, Barcelona, Spain.
-12-14 September 2012 Workshop on “MOL-TOOLS - Molecular tools for monitoring marine invasive species” CoNISMa, Lecce, Italy
-22 March 2012 Workshop “A day with Ancient DNA”, University of Florence, Italy.
-12-14 March 2012 Short course “Next Generation Sequencing (NGS) to find Disease Causing Genes”, University of Bologna, Italy.
-12-13 December 2011 Workshop SIBE-SBI-UZI “Il DNA Barcoding: quail prospettive e applicazioni in Italia?”, Università di Modena e Reggio-Emilia, Modena, Italy.
-25-31 July2010 Summer School in “Conservation Genetics of Marine Organisms”, University of Padova, Italy.
-16-19 March 2010 “Hands-on Genomics” International Workshop and Symposium on Genomic Data Mining, Biodiversity and Climate Research Centre Frankfurt, Germany.
-19-24 October 2009 International Summer School “Ecological Genomics” by ESF ConGen and ThermAdapt, University Residential Centre of Bertinoro, Bertinoro (FC), Italy.
-21-23 April 2009: Workshop "Theory of Speciation", Marie Curie Initial Training Network, Groningen, The Netherlands.
-2-4 April 2009: Workshop “Evolutionary Genetics: the impact of next generation sequencing technologies” Lutherstad Wittenberg, Germany.
-16-27 June 2008: NoE Marine Genomics Europe summer course “Marine Evolutionary & Ecological Genomics”, Station Biologique de Roscoff, France.
-3-14 March 2008: International winter school “Detecting biological and environmental changes: design and analysis of monitoring and experiments” University of Bologna, Italy.
-17 September 2007 “Microarray Technology – Advances, Applications, Future Prospects” University of Camerino, Camerino, Italy.
-18-21 July 2006: “Microarray training course”. University of Trieste in collaboration with BioRad Laboratories, Italy.
- 2017- current: Participation to the EC EASME/EMFF funded project “SPELMED: Evaluation of the population status and specific management alternatives for the small pelagic fish stocks in the North-Western Mediterranean Sea” SPECIFIC CONTRACT EASME/EMFF/2016/126.96.36.199/02/SI2.770218
- 2017- current: Participation to the FAO CopeMed II funded project “TRANSBORAN: Transboundary population structure of Sardine, European hake and blackspot seabream in the Alboran Sea and adjacent waters: a multidisciplinary approach”
- 2017- 2018: Scientific Coordinator of the ICCAT-GBYP funded project “Short term contract for the biological and genetic sampling and analysis of Atlantic Bluefin Tuna (phase 7)” Tender ICCAT GBYP 08/2017-2 http://www.iccat.int/GBYP/en
- 2016-2017: Participation to the ICCAT-GBYP funded project “Short term contract for the biological and genetic sampling and analysis of Atlantic Bluefin Tuna (phase 6)” http://www.iccat.int/GBYP/en
- 2015-2016: Genetic Task leader of the ICCAT-GBYP funded project “Short term contract for the biological and genetic sampling and analysis of Atlantic Bluefin Tuna (phase 5)” http://www.iccat.int/GBYP/en
- 2015-current: Participation to the JRC funded project “MEDBLUESGEN: population genetic study on Mediterranean blue shark for stock identification and conservation” https://fishreg.jrc.ec.europa.eu/web/medbluesgen/
- 2014-2016: Participation to the ICCAT-GBYP funded project “Data Recovery Plan - Priority 2: Historical genetic samples collected in old times in the Eastern Mediterranean Sea, in the Marmara Sea or in the Black Sea, including the genetic analyses of these samples” http://www.iccat.int/GBYP/en/Drecovery.htm
- 2013-current: Participation to the University of Bologna funded project FARB UNIBO Prot. RFBO125984: “Assessing Temporal Genome Changes in the bluefin TUNA (ATGC-TUNA): environmental and natural history induced evolution of transposable elements and putative adaptive genes”
- 2013-current: Participation to the Bolton Alimentari S.p.a funded research project “Valutazione della struttura genomica delle popolazioni di tonno pinna gialla (Thunnus albacares) a livello globale, per l’identificazione degli stock e degli stock boundaries”
- 2012-2014: Participation to the EU-funded research project MAREA (Mediterranean hAlieutic Resources Evaluation and Advice) Specific Project 7: STOCKMED [http://mareaproject.net/contracts/10/overview/] - “Stock units: identification of distinct biological units (stock units) for different fish and shellfish species and among different GFCM-GSA” (tender MARE/2009/05 - LOT 1)
- 2012-2013: Participation to the research Project "Lo status degli Elasmobranchi dei mari italiani (ELASMOSTAT)", granted by the Italian Ministry of Agricultural, Food and Forestry Policies
- 2012-current: Participation to the RITMare project [http://www.ritmare.it/en/index.php?option=com_content&view=featured&Itemid=101] “SP2_WP1 Ecosystem approach to the evaluation and use of fisheries resources”
- 2013-2015: Participation to the ICCAT-GBYP funded project “Short term contract for the biological and genetic sampling and analysis of Atlantic Bluefin Tuna (phase 4)” http://www.iccat.int/GBYP/en
- 2012-current: Participation to the FAO-ADRIAMED funded project “Sole.Diff” in the framework of the research agreement between FAO-ADRIAMED and National Research Council ISMAR - Ancona for provision of “Support the monitoring of fisheries and fisheries resources in the Adriatic Sea”
- 2012-2013: Participation to the ICCAT-GBYP funded project “Short term contract for the biological and genetic sampling and analysis of Atlantic Bluefin Tuna (phase 3)” http://www.iccat.int/GBYP/en
- 2011-2012: Participation to the ICCAT-GBYP funded project “Short term contract for the biological and genetic sampling and analysis of Atlantic Bluefin Tuna (phase 2)” http://www.iccat.int/GBYP/en
- 2011-2013: Participation to the JRC funded project “AquaGen: Genetic Assignment of Farmed Cod and Sole for Traceability, Biosafety and Environmental Impact Assessment” http://aquagen.jrc.ec.europa.eu/welcome [https://aquagen.jrc.ec.europa.eu/welcome]
- 2010-2012: Participation to the research project COFIN2008 "Disentangling ecological and evolutionary dynamics in the Mediterranean bluefin tuna” granted by Italian Ministry of University and Scientific Research and the University of Bologna
- 2008-2011: Participation to the EU-FP7 funded project “FishPopTrace The Structure of Fish Populations and Traceability of Fish and Fish Products” https://fishpoptrace.jrc.ec.europa.eu/home
- 2006-2008: Participation to the University of Bologna funded project: “Micro(bi)array: Structural and functional resolution of bacterial communities by DNA microchip”
- 2006-2008: Participation to the research project COFIN2005 "Spatial and temporal variation of biodiversity patterns in the Mediterranean tunas (Thunnini, Scombridae)" granted by Italian Ministry of University and Scientific Research and the University of Bologna
- 2004-2006: Participation to the EU-FP6 funded project “Fish&Chips – Towards DNA chip technology as a standard analytical tool for the identification of marine organisms in biodiversity and ecosystem research”
- 2018-current: Association to the CONISMA CONSORTIUM “National Inter-University Consortium for Marine Sciences” http://www.conisma.it/en/
- 2010-current: Association to the FAO-Regional Project “CopeMed II: Support Fisheries Management in the Western and Central Mediterranean” http://www.faocopemed.org/
- 2010-current: Association to the FAO-Regional Project “AdriaMed: Scientific Cooperation to Support Responsible Fisheries in the Adriatic Sea” http://www.faoadriamed.org/
- 2009-current: Management of the “ELASMOMED Consortium: DNA barcoding of the Mediterranean Elasmobranches”, a regional network active in the framework of the FishBOL initiative, in collaboration with the Canadian Center for DNA Barcoding and the Biodiversity Institute of Ontario
- 2008-current: Association to the Fish-Barcoding of Life Initiative, European Regional Working Group http://www.fishbol.org/
ENGLISH: good level; SPANISH: intermediate level; FRENCH: basic level.
ACTIVITY AS REVIEWER:
Activity as article reviewer for Conservation Genetics, PLoS ONE, Molecular Ecology Resources, Foodborne Pathogens and Disease, Marine Genomics, International Journal of Molecular Sciences, Mediterranean Marine Sciences, Journal for Nature Conservation, Zoologica Scripta
Activity as project reviewer and evaluator for Oregon Sea Grant Omnibus Competition (2014-2016).
July 2006 – May 2008: Partner of NGB Genetics s.r.l., with the task of developing and commercializing molecular tools for the genetic analysis in the human, environmental, veterinary and food fields.
- Italian Embassy Invited speakers to the Bilateral symposium Italy-Korea “Current scientific issues and innovative approaches and technologies for a sustainable fisheries development”, Pukyong National University and FAO World Fishery University, Busan, Republic of Korea, November 2017
- Successfully selected as high school teacher by National competition, teaching category A060: Natural Science, Chemistry, Geography and Microbiology. Hired as high school teacher by the Italian Ministry of Education, University and Research (MIUR). On leave until 30 September 2018.
- December 2012-July 2013: National qualification as high school teacher (TFA), teaching category A060: Natural Science, Chemistry, Geography and Microbiology. Academic Diploma with grade 100/100. Public defence on the 09/07/2013
- Successfully selected as candidate for a work position at the EU Research Development Team, Alma Mater Studiorum, University of Bologna
- Successfully selected as candidate for a work position at the Institute of Biomedical Technologies, National Research Council, Segrate; Milano
- Successfully selected as candidate for a post-doc position at University of Hawai`i at Hilo
- Successfully selected as candidate for a post-doc position at Stazione Zoologica Anton Dohrn di Napoli
- Successfully selected as candidate for a post-doc position at Centro di ricerca per la genomica e la postgenomica animale e vegetale - Consiglio per la Ricerca e la sperimentazione in Agricoltura (CRA)
- Successfully selected as candidate for a post-doc position at the Department of Veterinary Medical Sciences, University of Bologna
- Invited host at Explora La Tv delle Scienze 23 January 2006, see link and video
- 3rd level CMAS (Confédération Mondiale des Activités Subaquatiques)
- 12 nautical Mile limited nautical license for sailing boat