- Born in Bologna on 7 October 1952
- Degree in Physics, Bologna University, 20 July 1976,
110/110 cum laude, Thesis title: Inequalities among Green's Functions in Quantum Statistical Mechanics, Supervisors: Marco Toller & Renzo Leonardi.
- Fellowship in Theoretical Physics at the Trento University from January 1977 until October 1979.
- Appointed Professor in Theoretical Physics at the Trento University from 1979 until 1986.
- N.A.T.O. Research Fellow in Theoretical Physics at the LPTHE Paris XI, Orsay (France) from February 1980 until March 1981.
- Assistant Professor in Theoretical Physics in Relativity and Quantum Mechanics at the Trento University from 1981 until 1986.
- Associate Professor in Theoretical Physics, Statistical Mechanics and Quantum Field Theory, at the Bologna University since 1986.
- Honoris Causa Professor in Physics, 13 December 2005, Sankt Petersburg State University (Russia).
- Regular teaching activity started in October 1976 in Trento, Applied Mechanics for Engineers, then Quantum Mechanics and Relativity for undergraduate students in Trento until 1986; Professor of Statistical Mechanics and Quantum Field Theory in Bologna since March 1986. Regular teaching at the Ph.D. program of the Physics Dept. of Bologna since 1988 until 2015 in Advanced Quantum Field Theory.
- Invited teacher for a series of lectures at Leningrad State University (URSS) 1990, IPN Orsay (France) 1995, Universidad Nacional de La Plata (Argentina) 1998, Universidade Federal Rio de Janeiro UFRJ (Brasil) 2002, Sankt Petersburg State University (Russia) 2005.
Scientific Research Activity
- Author of 65 published paper in highly qualified Journals with referee and author of a textbook published by World Scientific (Singapore), yielding more than 1.300 citations in INSPIRES-hep and nearly 1850 citations in Google Scholar, the difference being due mainly to the WS book, the citations of which are not registered in INSPIRES-hep.
- Local Coordinator for Bologna from 1996 until 2002 in the PRIN Project Fisica teorica delle interazioni fondamentali (National Coordinator Prof. Roberto Petronzio)
- National Coordinator of the PRIN project Teorie di gauge e della gravità in 2003.
- Local Coordinator for Bologna of the Iniziativa Specifica Pisa-13 I.N.F.N. from 1998 until 2011 (National Coordinator Prof. Ruggero Ferrari).
- Advisor of the following students: Giuseppe Nardelli (Degree 1984) Associate Professor at the Sacro Cuore Catholic University of Brescia (Italy); Paola Giacconi (Ph. D. 1988) International High School teacher in Bologna and I.N.F.N. Research associate, Sezione di Bologna (Italy); Davide Ventura (Degree 1989) International High School teacher in Bologna (Italy); Giovanni Angeli (Degree 1992) Senior Software Engineer and External Consultant for public and private Companies (Italy); Simone Ginzburg (Degree 1992) Public Sector & Governance, Eurecna S.p.A., Sarajevo (Bosnia); Fabio Maltoni (Degree 1994) Full Professor in Theoretical Physics, Louvain-La-Neuve (Belgium); Michele Morara (Degree 1996) Researcher and Patent Inventor at Battelle, Columbus, Ohio (U.S.A.); Lorenzo Sorbo (Degree 1998) Tenure Track at Amherst, Massachusetts (U.S.A.); Alberto Zannoni (Degree 1999) private internet contractor, Elevel s.r.l. Unip. Ravenna (Italy); Annamaria Panza (Ph. D. 2000) Head of Audit Assignment - Inspection Gènèral Hub Italy at BNL BNP Paribas in Roma (Italy); Guido Pupillo (Degree 2001) Director of the Laboratoire de Physique Quantique, IPCMS & ISIS, Strasbourg (France); Luca Vecchi (Degree 2005) Research Fellow Associate, I.N.F.N. Padova and I.S.A.S. Trieste (Italy); Marco Feliciangeli (Degree 2007) Teaching Assistant at Université Catholique de Louvain-la-Neuve (Belgium); Fabrizio Sgrignuoli (Degree 2009) Contract Researcher at LENS, University of Florence (Italy); Pietro Longhi (Degree 2010) PostDoc at the Uppsala University (Sweden); Caterina Specchia (Degree 2013) Ph. D. student, ETH, Zürich (Suisse); Riccardo Martini (Degree 2015) Ph. D. student, Jena University (Germany).
- Regular collaboration as a referee on behalf of Physical Review D, Physical Review Letters, Nuclear Physics B, Physics Letters B, Journal of Physics A, Europhysics Letters, Journal of High Energy Physics, Nature Communications.
Membership of Scientific and Editorial Committees
- Editor of The Scientific World Journal as part of the journal's High Energy Physics subject area.
- Member of the Athens Institute for Education and Research (ATINER) belonging to the Physics Research Unit, Athens (Greece).
- Scientific divulgation activity in High Schools concerning Special Relativity, Quantum Mechanics and High Energy Physics.