After classical studies, I took the degree in Astronomy in 1972
and afterwards I worked as Temporary Lecturer of Laboratories,
Contract Researcher, Researcher, and at last as Associate Professor
from 2004 until I retired on 31st october 2017.
I worked on astrophysics of stellar systems and galaxies, making observations at the largest telescopes.
end of the eighties I work on history of astronomy, paying
attention to the relations between the evolution of astronomical ideas and the development of instruments, and to the cultural links
between astronomy and different disciplines.
I have done a number of papers,
books, talks and invited talks to conferences, both in astrophysics
and in history of astronomy. I have been member of several
scientific boards of the Ministry of Education and Research and of
the National Research Council.
- Adjunct Professor in charge of the course of History of Cosmology since 1st November 2017;
- Editor-in-chief of “Giornale di Astronomia”, published by SAIt, since 1997;
- Vice-president of the Italian Astronomical Society (SAIt) from 2001 to 2013;
- Member of th Council of Italian Society of Physics and Astronomy Historians from 2012 to 2018;
- Vice-director of the Department of Astronomy of the Bologna University
from 2001 until 2009;
- Curator-in-chief of the Museo della Specola of Bologna University from 1988 until 2017;
- Honorary Inspector of the Italian Ministry of National Heritage and
Culture for Bologna Monuments and Fine Arts Office since 2001.