Health insurance policy for applying for a residence permit

When you apply for the residence permit you must enclose a copy of your health insurance policy.

If you have already purchased a health insurance policy in your country, it must meet the following requirements:

  • it must be made out in your name;
  • it must have a duration of no less than the duration of the visa;
  • it must also be stamped or approved in any other way by the Embassy.

Important: if your health insurance policy is not stamped by the Embassy, it cannot be used for the issuing of the residence permit! So do remember to explicitly request that it get stamped when you go to the Embassy for the visa.

If you do not have health insurance policy, or you have an insurance policy that has not been stamped by the Embassy, you must purchase another one in Italy.

If you are a non-EU student you have access to the National Health Service (SSN) only after paying an annual registration fee of €149.77. The fee covers the calendar year from 1 January to 31 December and cannot be split. You may register at one of the two SSN offices (in Bologna, in via Mengoli 32 or via Montebello 6).

If you arrive in Italy at the end of the year, you may purchase a private health insurance coverage until 31 December and register at the SSN from 1 January.