Information for partner universities

This page provides the main information for partner universities wishing to send exchange students to spend a mobility period at the University of Bologna.

Information for partner universities during the coronavirus emergency period

Academic year 2019/20

The University of Bologna:

has guaranteed online lectures and exams from 2 March 2020, until the end of the second semester;

only records and certifies the mobility periods on site, therefore it does not certify virtual mobility;

issues the Certificate of Departure at students’ request with digital stamp, showing the start and end dates of on-site mobility;

from July 2020 does not fill out, sign and stamp paper forms of partner universities to certify mobility periods on site;

issues the Transcript of Records with digital stamp. The Transcript of Records shows:

  • the start and end dates of on-site mobility, that correspond to the Check-in and out dates, regardless of the dates on which the exams were taken;
  • the list of exams along with the marks (or pass evaluation when prescribed) achieved;
  • the statement that since 2 March 2020, due to the Covid 19 emergency, lectures and exams at the University of Bologna were carried out online. It is up to the partner universities to assess the duration of the exchanges, based on the periods spent at the University of Bologna on site and the activities carried out online.

Academic year 2020/21

During the first semester of A.Y. 2020/21, the University of Bologna offers blended teaching activities, held in classrooms but also accessible remotely. Students can choose how to carry out their mobility: remotely (virtual mobility), on site, or by combining the two modes (two mode changes are possible).

Attention: the possibility of entering the classroom is not guaranteed to all students who wish to.

The instructions for on-site mobility also apply to virtual mobility as far as they are compatible.

All single mobility parts (virtual and on-site) are registered and certified. Students who start and finish mobility remotely via online Check-in and out are only issued Certificates of Period and Transcript of Records with digital stamp. Paper forms of partner universities are not filled in, signed and stamped.

Student nominations

Student mobility is governed by agreements in force between the University of Bologna and universities abroad, up to a set number of places and for a set duration.

The University of Bologna only accepts nominations from the international relations offices of partner universities. Every year the University of Bologna sends to the international relations offices of the partner universities an e-mail, containing the link to the application to online upload nominations. After the partner university has entered the nominations, they are controlled and validated by the University of Bologna. Following the validation of their nomination, students receive via e-mail instructions to register online.

Only if the online upload is not available, nominations must be sent to The nominations by e-mail must include the students' personal data, the e-mail address and the ISCED code (for Erasmus +) or field of study (for other mobility programmes). If the mobility takes place within a multiple or joint programme, this degree programme must also be indicated in the nomination.

Nominations must be received by July 1st for students arriving in the first semester and by December 1st for students arriving in the second semester.

Italian immigration rules

Partner universities are asked to promptly inform the students selected for an exchange programme at the University of Bologna of the Italian Immigration rules and of the documents required. 

Students with non-EU citizenship must have an entry visa in Italy for study purposes, except for visa exemptions.

To apply for a visa they must:

  • pre-enrol online via the Universitaly portal
  • contact the Embassy / Consulate to find out the requirements to obtain an entry visa for "Study – EXCHANGE AND MOBILITY PROGRAMME" and make an appointment if necessary.

The University of Bologna issues invitation letters to students who have completed their online registration on AlmaRM:

  • in PDF format for students residing in the Schengen Area, who can request it in paper format if necessary;
  • in paper format for students residing in countries outside the Schengen Area. The University of Bologna sends only once the invitation letters to the international relations offices of the universities, by registered mail. No letters are sent to addresses other than university offices; for each student only one letter can be sent.

Important! in the coronavirus emergency period students must comply with the obligation of fiduciary isolation, where applicable.

The University of Bologna is not responsible for the delayed or refused visa release by the embassies.

Getting to know the University of Bologna

Multicampus: the University of Bologna also has campuses located in five different cities in the region: Cesena, Forlì, Ravenna and Rimini. According to the provisions of the Bilateral Agreements, students are assigned to one of the five Campuses.

Course catalogue: consult the list of course units run by the University of Bologna. The updated list of courses for the following academic year is available from June; prior to this date, students may refer to the list of courses from the previous year, which may however be subject to modification.

Language of instruction: most of the lectures are held in Italian but every year student have more opportunities of studying in the English. Consult the programme catalogue delivered in English (and in other languages) by using the filters in the list of the degree programmes and in the course unit catalogue.

Italian language courses: the University of Bologna runs Italian language courses for exchange students. Students coming to study in Bologna are strongly advised to have at least basic knowledge of the Italian language (level A2).

Teaching calendars: each Degree Programme has its own teaching calendar. Depending on the Degree Programme the semester start and end dates and the exam sessions may differ. Consult the calendars and timetables of each Degree Programme along with the information on the classrooms where the lectures are held.

Calendars and timetables are available in the course units pages.

For more information consult the specific pages for exchange students.

Documents required for the exchange period

At the Check-in on arrival, students are given a welcome kit which provides all the information they need to begin their experience at the university. Students are also given an Arrival Statement and, when they have completed their exchange programme, at the Check-out, they will get a Certificate of Departure. If students have specific forms to confirm their arrival and departure, they get filled in and stamped at the International Relations Offices desks. The dates indicated in the certificates or forms are those of the student's registration of arrival and departure at the International Relations Offices.

The Transcript of Records is sent to the partner universities by e-mail after the student has registered his/her departure.

The Transcript is issued in digital format, provided with digital signature and stamp, in compliance with EU Regulation 910/2014 on electronic identification and trust services for electronic transactions in European Single Market (eIDAS) and, according to Italian law, has the same legal value as the traditional paper Transcript.