The start date of your exchange period corresponds to the date of your Check-in at the Exchange Students Desk in Bologna or at the International Relations Office of your Campus. So, the first thing to do on arrival is to check in.

Read how to contact the offices and access the on-site and virtual desks (this information will be updated from September 2020).

Read on the websites of the CesenaForlìRavenna and Rimini Campuses the dates and opening hours of the International Relations Offices in the first semester of A.Y. 2020/21.

Important: to show up at the desks, you must have concluded the period of fiduciary isolation where applicable. More information on fiduciary isolation.

On check-in bring with you:

  • if you are a EU student: your passport or ID card;
  • if you are a non-EU student: passport with Visa, a copy of your passport front page and a copy of your visa;
  • any specific forms from your home university to be filled in order to confirm your arrival.

On check-in you get:

  • your Arrival Statement (if you havent’t got any specific form from your home university).

You will also be sent an e-mail with a QR CODE that you will have to use to print your badge at one of the self-service machines at the University.

If you are a non-EU student, on Check-in you receive information about the Residence Permit and the Arrival Statement which you must enclose with your application.

Accident and civil liability insurance

As an exchange student, after the Check-in, you are insured against accidents that may occur on the university premises or any other place where you carry out study and research activities authorized by the University, as well as for civil liability towards third parties while performing institutional activities.

For more information read about the insurance service of the University of Bologna.

Applying for a Residence Permit

If  you are a non-EU citizen and your exchange period lasts for more than 90 days you must apply for a Residence Permit. You must make your application within 8 working days following your arrival in Italy.

Having collected your residence permit, you must send a photocopy of it to the Exchange Students Desk or the International Relations Office of your Campus. If you do not provide a photocopy of your residence permit, after 180 days your university career is blocked and you are not allowed to sit any exams.

Important: if you stay in Italy for more than 90 days and you do not apply for the residence permit, you are not entitled to sit exams at the University of Bologna and you cannot obtain a Transcript of Records.   

Badge, Arrival Statement, Tax Code

Your university badge is an ID card with a photo that confirms your student status at the University of Bologna. It is needed to access the libraries, the laboratories and the washrooms. It can also be used to obtain discounts at the cinema, book loans from libraries, and access to the university canteens.

The Arrival Statement is the official confirmation of your date of arrival and the expected duration of your exchange period. If you need stamps on specific forms from your home university instead, they are done by the staff of the Exchange Students Desk or by the staff of the International Relations Office of your Campus, according to the official date of registration at the desk.

Important: You must then send the Arrival Statement or the specific forms to your home university.

If you lose any documents received on your arrival or they are stolen, contact the Exchange Students Desk or the International Relations Office of your Campus for a copy. In the case of theft or loss of the badge it is advisable to report to the police.

At the end of your exchange period, don’t forget to Check-out before you go home! On Check-out you receive another very important document: the Certificate of Departure which is required by your university to calculate the actual duration of your exchange period.

If you need an Italian Tax Code, for example to sign a lease contract, you may apply for one from the Tax Code Desk at University of Bologna. Alternatively you may contact the Agenzia delle Entrate.

Bring with you your ID card or passport (with the Visa, when necessary) if you are a non-EU citizen.